Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2012)
 What is Business Intelligence!?

Author  Topic 

cidr
Posting Yak Master

207 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-28 : 09:09:44
Hi All,

Apologies if this isn't the appropriate place for this thread.

I just wanted to grab peoples thoughts on a particular scenario and if it was true BI.

Garnet's definition of BI is:
Business intelligence (BI) is an umbrella term that includes the applications, infrastructure and tools, and best practices that enable access to and analysis of information to improve and optimize decisions and performance.

There's other definitions that are fairly similar. It's obvious that BI is not just about the tools that facilitate BI but what an Organisation can get out of better decision making from the data that they have and how they go about it.

Recently I've noticed a lot of Job advertisements for 'BI Developers'. On looking at the job spec where SSRS and SSIS are the only required expertise (no data visualisation tools like Tableau or PowerView and/or no dimensional models).

In other words, the task would be reporting from either replicated operational 'normalised' databases or/and reporting tables that have been loaded with SQL queries. SSRS is used to report off of this data.

I'd like your opinion if this is true BI. In my opinion, you could loosely say it is BI. However I refute this job description falling into the role of a 'BI Developer' and believe this would be a job description of a SQL Developer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-28 : 09:58:33
Same as "government intelligence". It's an oxymoron
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -