Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Replication Snapshot path

Author  Topic 

dolphin123
Yak Posting Veteran

84 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-30 : 16:26:04
Hi,

We have 3 replications running on our production environment.
I just realized that the snapshot folder path is in the C drive.

I was planning to use a different path in D drive for the new replication I was going to create. but it did not ask for the snapshot folder path.

I found out the snapshot folder path is in Distributor properties, which seems to be common for all replication.

1. Do you know if I can change the snapshot folder path only one for one replication?
2. What is the risk in changing the snapshot replication path in Distributor properties? These databases are very active and they have around 4 TB data. Will anything break? Do I have to stop the replication before changing the folder path?

Thanks so much!

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2014-04-30 : 19:07:08
We use different folders for individual publications so, yes, you should be able to, also.
1) From SSMS -> Replication right click the publication you want to change. Click on Properties -> Snapshot. About half way down the window there is a checkbox "Put files in the default folder" and another "Put files in the following folder". Check/uncheck these appropriately and define the folder you want to use in the textbox. Save when finished.
2) Changing the folder location should not be dangerous or intrusive. The Snapshot Folder is just where the snapshot (schema and data) will get placed when a snapshot gets created. You should not need to interrupt the ongoing replication in order to change this value.

===============================================================================
“Everyone wants a better life: very few of us want to be better people.”
-Alain de Botton
Go to Top of Page

dolphin123
Yak Posting Veteran

84 Posts

Posted - 2014-05-05 : 12:03:15
THANK YOU SO MUCH
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -