Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 SQL compliance review

Author  Topic 

Janetctz
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2014-05-02 : 19:04:05
I've just taken inventory of a large enterprise's SQL environment, using a tool other than Microsoft's MAP Toolkit. It delivered twice as much as MAP Toolkit did. Anyone else come across that? Now I need to know if it's possible that a server can 'look' like it has SQL Server (not tools) in add/remove programs, but when the registry is queried, not have any SQL instance. Next question- how do I determine the license required for old versions of SQL Server that have obviously not been licensed before? Talking per device plus CALs, or per proc etc.

Lamprey
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4614 Posts

Posted - 2014-05-05 : 12:44:53
It is possible. I don't know what tool you are using. But, depending on how it does its scan there can be bits still left on the machine or they might even scan the Uninstalled programs or Active Directory or who knows what.

If you are really concerned about licensing you could contact a company that specializes in Software Assent management (SAM) to assist.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -