Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Can't get 2 queries right, that's what I did...

Author  Topic 

pilotraam
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2014-05-03 : 15:38:57
Hey

for the first querry, the 2 tables are:

1)customers: id (int), gender (char), birth_date (date)
2)salaries: id (int), month (int), salary (int)

I need to print out, for each MALE customer, who was born IN THE 70'S, his average quarterly salary, for the 2nd calendar quarter.

That's what I've tried:

SELECT avg (salary)
from employee e, salaries s
where e.id=s.id and gender='m' and birthdate between '1970-01-01'
and '1979-12-31'
and month between '5' and '8'
group by salary

I get running query, but empty output (even if it's wrong to be empty)

For the 2nd query, the 2 tables are:

1)customers: id (int), name(varchar(255)), gender(char)
2)relations: id1(int), id2(int), relation_type(varchar(255))

***note - realtion_type is stuff like: 'married'/'divorce'/none/friends/house_commitee/ETC...

I need to print out all the WOMEN that are MARRIED to guys called 'MIKE'

What I've tried to no avail is:

select distinct name
from customers inner join relations
where customers.gender='f' relations.relation_type='married' and relations.id1='avi'
or relations.id2='avi'

But I think and feel I'm completely loss and off track with this one

I really need accurate instructions how to solve those 2 (It's not homework, I swear, It's for job interview preperation). Thank you very much in advance

bitsmed
Aged Yak Warrior

545 Posts

Posted - 2014-05-04 : 10:13:23
quote:
Originally posted by pilotraam

It's not homework, I swear, It's for job interview preperation

Ranting on
I will try to be as gentle as I possibly can: Are you f****** kidding?
So its better to fool a potential new employer where you every day have to prove your skills, than a teacher who give you at better grade than you deserve and you probably will never use?

These are probably the simplest of sql tasks you will get in the database business. Imagine your potentially new imployer, colleagues or customers increasing the severity of the tasks.

You want to get a job in the database bussiness, fair enough. But this requires months and months (even years) of studying, and can't be done over the weekend - don't show off skills you don't have (yet).

Ranting off
First sql: don't use "group by" on same field you use with an aggreagate function. Also 2nd calendar quarter would be months 4, 5 and 6.

Second sql: the relation table holds the customer ids, don't use specific value ('avi'). Also you need to read from customer table twice - once for the female, second for the male. Hint: use table aliases.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -