SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ
 
Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2012)
 Solid State Drives
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ferrethouse
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

340 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2014 :  19:12:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many people are running their data files on SSDs? Curious about the performance gains. I'm not overly concerned about the DRP implications as we have a pretty robust backup/failover setup.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
36817 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2014 :  19:23:00  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are. Performance gains were massive. Because the database was no longer a bottleneck, it uncovered application bottlenecks. Oops!

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

ferrethouse
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

340 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2014 :  20:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tkizer

We are. Performance gains were massive. Because the database was no longer a bottleneck, it uncovered application bottlenecks. Oops!

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/



Tara, were you seeing high IO waits prior to moving to SSDs? Most of my waits seem to be CPU/memory so I'm not optimistic about performance gains.

This is what we are in the process of moving to (AWS)...

i2.8xlarge
32 vCPU
244 Gigs RAM
8 x 800 Gig SSD

Edited by - ferrethouse on 05/14/2014 20:51:05
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

USA
15659 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2014 :  23:13:10  Show Profile  Visit robvolk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've been running our databases on FusionIO for about 3 years. Huge improvement, and like Tara's situation it revealed other issues in CPU, memory and network. We use SIOS Datakeeper software to do block replication between cluster nodes, so there is no traditional SAN or shared storage, but it fails over as if there was.

We also do synchronous database mirroring to a DR site, so we have double redundancy. Even with all this overhead, we've absorbed a 600% increase in volume over 3 years on the same hardware and are still barely utilizing half of the server's resources. We're running out of disk space on the FusionIO cards (640 GB) rather than anything else.

So while SSDs will help you a lot, your other resources will become the bottleneck. I have a friend and former coworker who has dealt with AWS before and regrets it, he had lots of problems that were never really solved. I don't know the details but he doesn't recommend it for certain SQL Server work, YMMV.
Go to Top of Page

ferrethouse
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

340 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2014 :  00:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robvolk

We've been running our databases on FusionIO for about 3 years. Huge improvement, and like Tara's situation it revealed other issues in CPU, memory and network. We use SIOS Datakeeper software to do block replication between cluster nodes, so there is no traditional SAN or shared storage, but it fails over as if there was.

We also do synchronous database mirroring to a DR site, so we have double redundancy. Even with all this overhead, we've absorbed a 600% increase in volume over 3 years on the same hardware and are still barely utilizing half of the server's resources. We're running out of disk space on the FusionIO cards (640 GB) rather than anything else.

So while SSDs will help you a lot, your other resources will become the bottleneck. I have a friend and former coworker who has dealt with AWS before and regrets it, he had lots of problems that were never really solved. I don't know the details but he doesn't recommend it for certain SQL Server work, YMMV.

Go to Top of Page

ferrethouse
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

340 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2014 :  00:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've been on AWS for 2 years and love it. I suspect your friend was on it before PIOPS EBS volumes were available and IO was a challenge.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

USA
36817 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2014 :  09:59:21  Show Profile  Visit tkizer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ferrethouse

quote:
Originally posted by tkizer

We are. Performance gains were massive. Because the database was no longer a bottleneck, it uncovered application bottlenecks. Oops!

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/



Tara, were you seeing high IO waits prior to moving to SSDs? Most of my waits seem to be CPU/memory so I'm not optimistic about performance gains.

This is what we are in the process of moving to (AWS)...

i2.8xlarge
32 vCPU
244 Gigs RAM
8 x 800 Gig SSD



No our I/O was fine. With this upgrade, we upgraded the entire server though. But PerfMon is showing a dramatic increase in I/O performance, from 12ms or less to 1-2ms or less. Usually it's so fast it says 0ms.

The one system we upgraded to Fusion-io, it had a dedicated SAN with some SSDs in that array. Then we switched to Fusion-io and BOOM, performance increased dramatically.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000