Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 sap export/import

Author  Topic 

whitfies
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2014-05-15 : 13:34:35
Hi,

I have primary server running sap the db is sql server 2008. We used sap export/import to re-org/shrink the size of the db. Our total size went from 4tb to 2tb. The tables are much smaller, which is great.

On another server, I have a sql server 2008 instance running. I use linked server to pull tables from the primary server to this one. I can also use sql server import/export.

My question is the primary server shows a table at a small size. When I use linked server and create the same table on my secondary sql server, the space is much larger. The row count is the same. Why isnt the space used the same on the secondary server.

Thanks for any info!

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2014-05-19 : 18:47:44
You shouldn't expect them to be the identical size. There are too many variables involved in disk allocation to allow a perfect match. Having said that, check the "fill factor" on each table you mentioned. If that is different, the sizes could be wildly different, depending on the details of your data. If you are concerned about the data being the same, try running this code:[CODE]select *
from MySchema.MyTable
except
select * from MyLinkedServer.MyDB.MySchema.MyTable[/CODE]If you get any results, the data does NOT match. You will want to run it again with the two tables reversed, also.:[CODE]select *
from MyLinkedServer.MyDB.MySchema.MyTable
except
select * from MySchema.MyTable[/CODE]

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - T.A.Edison
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -