Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 (solved) Subquery alias implementation

Author  Topic 

opopanax666
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2014-06-12 : 04:21:32
Hi everyone,

I usually make my T-SQL queries in Access, and then change the syntax to use the query in Excel (eg change "dbo_" to "dbo.", or change " to ').
These are usually very basic SELECT queries, and this method has worked fine so far.

But now I need to construct a query involving a subquery, and I have no clue how to incorporate the subquery in the main query, except that I would need to use an alias. But I have no clue about the syntax...

Main query:
SELECT dbo.tblGEPRODUCEERD2.*, qryBESTELLING_barcode_BE.Verzending_datum, dbo.tblBESTEMMING_SUB.Bestemming_sub_naam
FROM (qryBESTELLING_barcode_BE INNER JOIN dbo.tblGEPRODUCEERD2 ON qryBESTELLING_barcode_BE.Barcode = dbo.tblGEPRODUCEERD2.Verzending_id) INNER JOIN dbo.tblBESTEMMING_SUB ON qryBESTELLING_barcode_BE.Bestemming_sub_id = dbo.tblBESTEMMING_SUB.Bestemming_sub_ID
WHERE ((year(qryBESTELLING_barcode_BE.Verzending_datum)>=2014) AND (dbo.tblGEPRODUCEERD2.Verzending_id Is Not Null));

Query "qryBESTELLING_barcode_BE":
SELECT 'BE' & Right('000000' & dbo.tblBESTELLING.Bestelling_ID,6) AS Barcode, dbo.tblBESTELLING.*
FROM dbo.tblBESTELLING;

I could use the name "qryBESTELLING_barcode_BE" as alias, but don't know where to insert the subquery.

Any help would be much appreciated!

webfred
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

8781 Posts

Posted - 2014-06-12 : 04:42:17
try this:
SELECT 
dbo.tblGEPRODUCEERD2.*,
qryBESTELLING_barcode_BE.Verzending_datum,
dbo.tblBESTEMMING_SUB.Bestemming_sub_naam
FROM
(
SELECT 'BE' & Right('000000' & dbo.tblBESTELLING.Bestelling_ID,6) AS Barcode, dbo.tblBESTELLING.*
FROM dbo.tblBESTELLING
) as qryBESTELLING_barcode_BE

INNER JOIN dbo.tblGEPRODUCEERD2 ON qryBESTELLING_barcode_BE.Barcode = dbo.tblGEPRODUCEERD2.Verzending_id
INNER JOIN dbo.tblBESTEMMING_SUB ON qryBESTELLING_barcode_BE.Bestemming_sub_id = dbo.tblBESTEMMING_SUB.Bestemming_sub_ID

WHERE ((year(qryBESTELLING_barcode_BE.Verzending_datum)>=2014) AND (dbo.tblGEPRODUCEERD2.Verzending_id Is Not Null));

Too old to Rock'n'Roll too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2014-06-12 : 04:52:18
ah and change & by +

Go to Top of Page

opopanax666
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2014-06-12 : 05:01:43
Woah, that was quick!

It also clearly shows the logical structure, so gonna keep it as an example.

Thank you very much!
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2014-06-12 : 05:44:45
my pleasure :)

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -