Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 String extract

Author  Topic 

satheesh
Posting Yak Master

152 Posts

Posted - 2014-06-17 : 04:42:03
Hi All,

I have a long text in 'Quote' column as below and i have to extract Trip Duration, Destination and Base Rate from this text. The ‘Base Rate’ will be repeated throughout the text if there is more than one traveler and I only need the first instance.

Begin Quote Calculation<br />\n<br />\....<br />\nAgent Id: 001<br />\nTrip Duration: 5days<br />\nRelationship Type: Individual<br />....nDestination: AreaTwo<br />\n<br ...../>\Resolved Trip Type To: 1 with Trip Subtype: 0<br />\nResolved Relationship: Individual....... />\n*Base Rates*<br />\nBase Rate: 6.070000<br />\.....\Resolved Trip Type To: 2 with Trip Subtype: 0<br />\nResolved Relationship: Individual....... />\n*Base Rates*<br />\nBase Rate: 9.070000<br />\.....

Result

Trip Duration: 5 days
Destination: AreaTwo
Base Rate: 6.070000

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

SG

sz1
Aged Yak Warrior

555 Posts

Posted - 2014-06-17 : 07:40:32
Is this in a SQL field in a SQL table, you can use the Like wildcard to pull the text you want then you can wrap it all in a CTE to pull only the first result.

We are the creators of our own reality!
Go to Top of Page

Lamprey
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

4614 Posts

Posted - 2014-06-17 : 10:59:33
quote:
Originally posted by satheesh

Hi All,

I have a long text in 'Quote' column as below and i have to extract Trip Duration, Destination and Base Rate from this text. The ‘Base Rate’ will be repeated throughout the text if there is more than one traveler and I only need the first instance.

Begin Quote Calculation<br />\n<br />\....<br />\nAgent Id: 001<br />\nTrip Duration: 5days<br />\nRelationship Type: Individual<br />....nDestination: AreaTwo<br />\n<br ...../>\Resolved Trip Type To: 1 with Trip Subtype: 0<br />\nResolved Relationship: Individual....... />\n*Base Rates*<br />\nBase Rate: 6.070000<br />\.....\Resolved Trip Type To: 2 with Trip Subtype: 0<br />\nResolved Relationship: Individual....... />\n*Base Rates*<br />\nBase Rate: 9.070000<br />\.....

Result

Trip Duration: 5 days
Destination: AreaTwo
Base Rate: 6.070000

Can you describe, in words, the logic you want to apply to the string in order to parse out each value?
Go to Top of Page

sz1
Aged Yak Warrior

555 Posts

Posted - 2014-06-18 : 05:20:42
You will need to find your text place number for each word you want to return but you can use SUBSTRING other than that you can use the CHARINDEX function.

Select Substring(yourfield,4,11) as Text1,
Substring(yourfield, 17, 7) as Text2,
Substring(yourfield, 88, 7) as Text3,
Substring(yourfield, 146,7) as Text4
From dbo.YourTable

We are the creators of our own reality!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -