Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 query multiple CSV's and create resultant table

Author  Topic 

sifar786
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 2014-06-28 : 02:00:08
Hi,

I am trying to run a UNION ALL query in SQL SERVER 2014 on multiple large CSV files - the result of which i want to get into a table in SQL Server. below is the query which works in MSAccess but not on SQL Server 2014:

SELECT * INTO tbl_ALLCOMBINED FROM OPENROWSET
(
'Microsoft.JET.OLEDB.4.0' , 'Text;Database=D:\Downloads\CSV\;HDR=YES',
'SELECT t.*, (substring(t.[week],3,4))*1 as iYEAR,
''SPAIN'' as [sCOUNTRY], ''EURO'' as [sCHAR],
IIf( t2.first_week_on_sale = 1 and t2.weeks_on_sale <=52,
((((substring(t.[week],3,4) - 2011) * 52) + right(t.[week],2)) - t2.first_week_on_sale) + (1 + 52 - t2.weeks_on_sale),
((((substring(t.[week],3,4) - 2011) * 52) + right(t.[week],2)) - t2.first_week_on_sale) + 1 ) as Sale_Week
FROM [DATABASE_SPAIN_EURO.CSV] as t, ( SELECT t3.[Level],t3.[Category],t3.[Manufacturer],t3.[Brand],t3.[Description],
min(((substring(t3.[week],3,4) - 2011) * 52) + right(t3.[week],2)) as first_week_on_sale,
max(((substring(t3.[week],3,4) - 2011) * 52) + right(t3.[week],2)) as last_week_on_sale,
(max(((substring(t3.[week],3,4) - 2011) * 52) + right(t3.[week],2)) -
min(((substring(t3.[week],3,4) - 2011) * 52) + right(t3.[week],2)))+1 as weeks_on_sale
FROM [DATABASE_SPAIN_EURO.CSV] as t3
WHERE t3.[Sales Value with Innovation] is NOT NULL
and t3.[Sales Value with Innovation] <>0
and t3.[Level]=''Item''
GROUP BY t3.[Level], t3.[Category],t3.[Manufacturer],t3.[Brand],t3.[Description]
) as t2
WHERE
t.[Level] = t2.[Level]
and t.[Category] = t2.[Category]
and t.[Manufacturer] = t2.[Manufacturer]
and t.[Brand] = t2.[Brand]
and t.[Description] = t2.[Description]
and t.[Sales Value with Innovation] is NOT NULL
and t.[Sales Value with Innovation] <>0
and t2.first_week_on_sale >=1
and t2.weeks_on_sale <=52
UNION ALL
SELECT t.*, (substring(t.[week],3,4))*1 as iYEAR,
''SPAIN'' as [sCOUNTRY], ''EURO'' as [sCHAR],
IIf( t2.first_week_on_sale = 1 and t2.weeks_on_sale <=52,
((((substring(t.[week],3,4) - 2011) * 52) + right(t.[week],2)) - t2.first_week_on_sale) + (1 + 52 - t2.weeks_on_sale),
((((substring(t.[week],3,4) - 2011) * 52) + right(t.[week],2)) - t2.first_week_on_sale) + 1 ) as Sale_Week
FROM [DATABASE_FRANCE_EURO.CSV] as t, ( SELECT t3.[Level],t3.[Category],t3.[Manufacturer],t3.[Brand],t3.[Description],
min(((substring(t3.[week],3,4) - 2011) * 52) + right(t3.[week],2)) as first_week_on_sale,
max(((substring(t3.[week],3,4) - 2011) * 52) + right(t3.[week],2)) as last_week_on_sale,
(max(((substring(t3.[week],3,4) - 2011) * 52) + right(t3.[week],2)) -
min(((substring(t3.[week],3,4) - 2011) * 52) + right(t3.[week],2)))+1 as weeks_on_sale
FROM [DATABASE_FRANCE_EURO.CSV] as t3
WHERE t3.[Sales Value with Innovation] is NOT NULL
and t3.[Sales Value with Innovation] <>0
and t3.[Level]=''Item''
GROUP BY t3.[Level], t3.[Category],t3.[Manufacturer],t3.[Brand],t3.[Description]
) as t2
WHERE
t.[Level] = t2.[Level]
and t.[Category] = t2.[Category]
and t.[Manufacturer] = t2.[Manufacturer]
and t.[Brand] = t2.[Brand]
and t.[Description] = t2.[Description]
and t.[Sales Value with Innovation] is NOT NULL
and t.[Sales Value with Innovation] <>0
and t2.first_week_on_sale >=1
and t2.weeks_on_sale <=52
')

What i need is:
1] to create the resultant tbl_ALLCOMBINED table

2] transform this table using PIVOT or CROSS APPLY command with following transformation as shown below:
PAGEFIELD: set on Level = 'Item'
COLUMNFIELD: Sale_Week (showing 1 to 52 numbers for columns)
ROWFIELD: sCOUNTRY, sCHAR, CATEGORY, MANUFACTURER, BRAND, DESCRIPTION, EAN (in this order)
DATAFIELD: 'Sale Value with Innovation'

3] Can the transformed form show columnfields >255 columns i.e. if i want to show all KPI values in datafield?

P.S: the CSV's contain the same number of columns and datatype but the columns are >100, so i dont think it will be feasible to use a stored proc to create a table specifying that number of columns.

can anyone please help me with a solution asap?

Best Rgds.

Best Rgds.

- Advertisement -