Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 What does the "OR" do?

Author  Topic 

sapator
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

462 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-02 : 07:00:14
It is very hard to google this as it is a common term.
I show a sproc that did

WHERE ( table1.Linked = @onReference)
OR ( table1.Linked IN ((SELECT table1.tab
--- etc

Does or search for an alternative if the variable @onReference is null?
Or what exactly does it do.
I would appreciate the msdn documentation if you are bored to explain here.
Thanks.

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-02 : 07:45:23
It's Boolean algebra. The WHERE clause is satisfied if any of the expressions separated by OR evaluate to true. So, in the example you gave, rows would be returned from the query if one of these two expressions evaluate to true:

table1.Linked = @onReference

table1.Linked IN ((SELECT table1.tab ...etc.

Documentation can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms173545.aspx
Go to Top of Page

webfred

8781 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-02 : 10:32:41
...and if both expressions evaluate to true :)

I don't want to bother you Gerald - I was just in the mood to post this... :)

Too old to Rock'n'Roll too young to die.
Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-02 : 11:35:34
quote:
Originally posted by webfred

...and if both expressions evaluate to true :)

Of course, if both expressions evaluate to true then one of them surely does!
Go to Top of Page

ScottPletcher
Aged Yak Warrior

550 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-02 : 12:03:53
Almost certainly both expressions will never evaluate to true ... because once one of them does, SQL has no need to evaluate the other one.

That is, for the expression:
( A = B ) OR ( C = D )
If A=B is "true", the final result will always be "true", no matter what the result of C=D is. To save overhead, most optimizers simply skip -- the technical term is "short-circuit" -- the "second" comparison in those cases.

Note, though, that SQL could choose to do either comparison first, not necessarily in the order written. Also, in some cases, both might be evaluated anyway due to multithreading "preprocessing".
Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-02 : 13:04:54
"Almost certainly both expressions will never evaluate to true "

By SQL? Probably. But when I say, "if both expressions evaluate to true" I mean mathematically. No SQL required!

Also you're caution about relying on short-circuiting is correct. Never count on SQL to short circuit.
Go to Top of Page

sapator
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

462 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-03 : 02:28:23
Hi.My problem here is what will be returns? So if, for example, the WHERE ( table1.Linked = @onReference) is false, it will be ignored from the query? What will "table.linked =" received value will be, or it will be like there is no
WHERE ( table1.Linked = @onReference) and we get our value from OR ( table1.Linked IN ?
And above that, what if both are true? Will precedence of WHERE ( table1.Linked will take over?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

gbritton

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-03 : 08:40:37
The returns depend on the Where clause. If either side of the 'OR' is true for a row, the row is returned. Think about an example from life:

Your friend asks you to go for coffee tomorrow and you say, "I'll have coffee with you if I'm not running late or I'm really tired".

Under what conditions will you have coffee with your friend? When you're not running late? When you're tired? When you're not running late and you are tired?

SQL's OR works the same way. And, perhaps just like you, it's irrelevant which condition is considered first.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -