Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2008)
 Exclude Weekend and Holiday

Author  Topic 

junior6202
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-07 : 02:09:06
I wrote a query from a shipping table which subtracts two columns arrival date and shipping date. I used the DATEDIFF function and it work perfectly, but now I have to find a way to exclude the weekends and holidays from the results. For example, if a package arrived on Friday and was shipped on Monday it still counts as one business day excluding the weekend and the same goes for the holidays. I am not really sure how to achieve that, so any guidance will be really appreciated.

BBarn
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-07 : 08:33:17
I've done this in the past for the exact same reason. The below logic should get you pointed in the right direction.

dw returns a number for the day of week represented by MyDate. Sunday is 1 Saturday is 7.

CASE DATEPART(dw, MyDate)
WHEN 1 then MyDate - 2 --sets it to Friday
WHEN 7 then MyDate - 1 --sets it to Friday
else MyDate
END as MyCalcDate
Go to Top of Page

ScottPletcher
Aged Yak Warrior

550 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-08 : 17:07:30
I suggest creating a NonWorkDays table and load it with all weekend, holiday and other non-work days (company shutdown, natural disaster, etc.). You then subtract the count of entries in the NonWorkDays calendar from the total days.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -