Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SSIS and Import/Export (2012)
 Large Data Import - Help Required

Author  Topic 

varunspace
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2014-07-29 : 08:49:52
Friends,

We have received 1 TB external hard drive with 750 GB MS SQL server zipped backup file in it from our client. We need to import this database at our end and then write programs to retrieve data and push to another system. I am asking these questions from you to figure out best possible way to import this database:

Ideally client would like a cloud hosted SQL server. But the concern is importing 750 GB of database into cloud hosted SQL server may take enormous amount of time. Do you think this is valid concern?

Another option we have is to buy a powerful machine (one with at least 16 GB RAM and Solid State Harddrives with space at least 3 TB). Then install SQL server on it and do everything on this machine. Do you think this will be a better option? Can you suggest a server machine configuration that you know can handle database of this size? Also do such machines need any special expertise for programmers who have worked with databases of 4-6 GB on regular machines?

Thanks for your help in advance.

VC

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-29 : 12:49:02
16GB of memory will almost certainly not be enough. I would recommend 192 or more given the info you've provided.

Yes special expertise is required for larger databases, but 750GB isn't all that big. Depends on its design though.

I'm confused why you need to "import". If you've received a backup file, then you just need to run a RESTORE DATABASE command.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

tm
Posting Yak Master

160 Posts

Posted - 2014-07-30 : 14:34:09
16GB of RAM is certainly not enough.
@varunspace .. Will you be installing SQL Server Enterprise edition or Standard edition (64GB RAM Max)?
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -