Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 Transact-SQL (2012)
 Linked Server Issue

Author  Topic 

Pete_N
Posting Yak Master

181 Posts

Posted - 2014-08-12 : 06:02:36
Server A SQL2008R2
Server B SQL2014

SQL Authentication User MyUser ( example )

Server A & B are linked. Server B holds a SP that executes a SSIS package

If I log into SERVERA as MyUser using SQL Manager, and execute a query 'exec ServerB.Dtaabase.SP' everything runs fine and the SSIS package is executed

If I try and call the SP from a vb application with a connection string using MyUser and password, it gets to the SP on ServerB but doesn't execute the SSIS package. I know it is calling the SP on ServerB, but cannot get the error reason back for why it wont execute the SSIS. I have tied several things including writing the error to a table on ServerB, but gate an access error on the table. I have given MyUser full permissions on ServerB and still get an error. I have tried in the SP to execute as a domain admin and still get the same error. I think the problem is to do with the linked servers, but don't know how to proceed. The SQL server logs on both servers do not show anything . I have spent an entire day on this posting on the SSIS forum, but no joy. The error i get is 'The Server principal "xx" is not able to access the database "SSISErrorsDB" under the current security context.

sz1
Aged Yak Warrior

555 Posts

Posted - 2014-08-12 : 06:45:33
Are both SQL instances on the same servers or different, could be a firewall issue and port blocking, try disabling the firewall on B temporarily to cross that off. Also, have you tried setting MyUser in the SSIS package catalogue thru MStudio connecting to the SSIS package for permissions. Have you included the full linked server path in your query including instance name.

Firewall article discusses ports.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc646023.aspx

We are the creators of our own reality!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -