Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 SQL named instance cannot be connected

Author  Topic 

dolphin123
Yak Posting Veteran

84 Posts

Posted - 2014-09-16 : 11:12:26
SQL server 2008 R2.
It has default instance running and a couple of named instance.
- I can connect to both default instance and named instances.
- User can connect to default instance but he is not able to connect to named instances.
error is "26 - Error Locating Server/Instance required" screencast.com/t/Kvbic3WlNq
- I asked the user to connect "tcp:ServerIP\instancename" and it works

I thought then it could be that UDP port 1434 is not allowed (which is important for names instance connection), but I am not able to connect the usual way (servername\instancename)
My system administrator tells me all the ports are allowed to this hosting network on the SQL boxes including the UDP ports.

Also, SQL browser is running - screencast.com/t/eh0qIvSntY0Q (here is a screenshot. I blocked the domain name)

I have 3 questions:
1. What could be blocking the user/s in a particular network not be able to connect to it?
2. Is it bad if I allow the user to connect to is using "tcp:ServerIP\instancename" ? Why don't usually people don't use this?
3. What does it mean when a user can connect to an instance using "tcp:ServerIP\instancename" but not "ServerIP\instancename"

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2014-09-16 : 12:11:16
It sounds like the user has been configured to use a protocol different than TCP/IP as the default and that the server instance does not support the user's default protocol. You could use SQL Server Configuration Manager to change the user's default protocol. If the user is trying to connect via SSMS, the error message will say which protocol is being attempted (i.e. Can't connect using Names Pipes). Using the "TCP:" prefix in the connection string just overrides the user's default setting. It's not wrong, strictly speaking, to specify the protocol but if you want user to connect using TCP/IP then I would make the configuration change at the user level.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John F. Kennedy
Go to Top of Page

dolphin123
Yak Posting Veteran

84 Posts

Posted - 2014-09-16 : 13:22:13
User has TCP/IP enabled just next to Shared memory.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2014-09-16 : 13:51:33
Just add a SQL alias to the client machine:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\ConnectTo
New String Value
Name - whatever you want to refer to it as, it is an alias
Value data - DBMSSOCN,ServerNameOrIpAddress,PortNumber

If it's a 64-bit machine, also add it here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\Client\ConnectTo

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

dolphin123
Yak Posting Veteran

84 Posts

Posted - 2014-09-16 : 16:13:11
Thanks Tara.

Say I use like this:
DBMSSOCN,<servername>,1433

1433 is the port default instance is running on.

After adding this entry, should the user be connecting his SSMS to
<ALIASNAME>\<NAMEDINSTANCE>?

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2014-09-16 : 16:23:26
It depends what the registry entry is named. Whatever you name it is what needs to be used for the server name in SSMS. So if you used <aliasname> for the registry entry, then the user would use <aliasname> for the server name. You can name that alias whatever you want, what matters is the value data inside the registry entry. The value data is what redirects it.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -