Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Dude about partition an existing table

Author  Topic 

jcgomez16
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2014-09-22 : 12:38:39
Good morning,

I want to know if when I partition an existing table with created indexes, I have to recreate them again specifying the partition scheme that I create?.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2014-09-22 : 19:00:52
If you want the table/clustered index to make use of the partitioning then yes you will need to rebuild it. If you want other non-clustered indexes to make use of the partitioning then yes you will need to rebuild them. If you want other non-clustered indexes to remain intact then no you will not need to rebuild them.

If you are rebuilding the clustered index then, for performance reasons, you may want to drop the other existing indexes first and rebuild them, using whichever file group/partition scheme you desire, after the cluster is built. It might make the rebuilding go faster.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John F. Kennedy
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -