Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 Error 18483 while configuring distributor

Author  Topic 

dontipton
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 2002-09-09 : 11:28:22
While configuring my distributor I received the following error:

Error 18483: Could not connect to server because "distributor_admin" is not defined as a remote login at the server.

Anyone have any ideas?

dtipton@state.oh.us

chadmat
The Chadinator

1974 Posts

Posted - 2002-09-09 : 16:25:00
Is your server registered as an IP address? If so, register it as the servername instead, then try again.

If that doesn't do it, select @@servername and make sure it matches the netbios name.

-Chad

Go to Top of Page

mko
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-02 : 17:26:18
I have the same problem. What do you mean that the servername should match the netbios name?

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-02 : 18:05:44
Sort of a double post:
(Edit Removed the link to post info)

This article explains NetBIOS:
[url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnntpro00/html/NetBIOS.asp[/url]

For the most part, the NetBIOS name of the server is actually the real name of the server. Chadmat was just saying not to use the IP address as the name, but instead use the NetBIOS name.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

garyn
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-17 : 18:43:16
I encountered this error after someone had left unfinished a failed attempt to setup ServerA as Publisher using the existing Distributor on ServerB. When I tried to run SQL2000 E/M's "Configure Publishing and Distribution" wizard on ServerA, I got this error. SSMS has separate wizards for Configuring Publishing vs Configuring Distribution, and one of those offered to drop a hidden existing (broken) Publisher partially-defined in metadata on ServerA. The wizard executed sp_dropdistributor @no_checks = 1, @ignore_distributor = 1, and the error 18483 was resolved for all client tools. I surmise a wizard had neglected in the past to create and coordinate the distributor_admin accounts & passwords between ServerA and ServerB; I never found that account on either, and it is apparently required if Publisher and Distributor are on different boxes (or instances?).
Go to Top of Page

russell
Pyro-ma-ni-yak

5072 Posts

Posted - 2011-11-17 : 21:26:52
Thanks for dredging up an eight and a half year old post on a deprecated product.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -