Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Master database

Author  Topic 

ksr39
Posting Yak Master

193 Posts

Posted - 2014-10-02 : 16:59:28
Hi Experts,

I have a scenario where we are doing a cloning for one of our SQL Server from one DC to another, so my question is when we clone the whole server, will the master comes up on the new server instance where the name of the server would be different and how does master database recognize the server.
I know that the master will come up but I want to know how it works, where it stores the information of the server and how it reacts when it comes to the new server or instance.
Please let me know on this.

Thank You All In Advance
KRS39

Bustaz Kool
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1834 Posts

Posted - 2014-10-03 : 11:54:19
You have it a bit backwards. Master doesn't find the SQL Server; SQL Server finds the Master. The registry holds the location of the master database data and log files. These values can be overridden by start-up parameters. When the SQL Server Service starts, it reads the registry (or parameters), opens Master and proceeds from there. It's actually more involved than that but that's basically how the game is played.

No amount of belief makes something a fact. -James Randi
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -