Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 Analysis Server and Reporting Services (2008)
 SSRS Linking report to Windows authentication

Author  Topic 

Cousboy
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 2014-10-06 : 08:07:06
Hi,

I have written a report which shows data that is relavent to each user.

It works well but requires a lot of manual intervention in order to add another user. In order to control the access I create a new report for each user, add a filter that references the users fullname and then deploy to the report server.

When on the report server I then have to manually update the security setting so that each user can only see their own report.

Ideally, I would like to only have one version of the report which responds with the data relevent to the user based on their windows aunthentication.

Any help gratefully received, please let me know if you need any further clarification.

Many thanks. Cousboy.

James K
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3873 Posts

Posted - 2014-10-06 : 11:33:28
Add a hidden parameterto the report and give it the default value of UserID (which is a build-in field). In the database, filter on this parameter to return only the rows that are relevant to this user id.

If you do it this way, even if someone who is not authorized to view the report were to run the report, they would see no data. If you want to prevent such users from even running the report, you can create a Active Directory group of authorized users and grant access to that group. If you want to add or remove users, all you would need to do is to add or remove users from that AD group.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -