Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 Database keeps growing by 5 gigs, what should I do

Author  Topic 

moazzamahmed
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2014-10-25 : 02:20:09

I have a simple sql server 2008 database that has been 3 gigs for a long time. Then recently, something happened and it has grown to 14 gigs over a week. 1 day, it grew by 5 gigs.

All the size is coming from 1 table that has an IMAGE field which we store encrypted images to. When I sum up the DATALENGTH on that field for ALL the rows in the last month, I don't see any discrepencies, it grows by about 24 MB a day which is normal. But the database itself grows by gigs.

What can I do to fix this? Here are the options I've researched:

1. find out where the blob is stored for those images. How do I do this? again, when I do DATALENGTH it only shows the normal size, it's not showing the blob size.

2. re-index the table. but the index size is only 0.03 gigs so will I only get that much back if I re-index?
SignatureTable 1477765 9328248 KB 8772448 KB 38768 KB 517032 KB

3. Could it be that the transactional logs are growing and not being ... cleared?

4. Last one: this is a hosted sql server and the guys do a full back up for me every day. That is the only type of backup they do. Could this be causing the issue? although, this has been happening for 3 years and the data never got this big all of a sudden.

What else can I try?

thanks

Moazzam

ahmeds08
Aged Yak Warrior

737 Posts

Posted - 2014-10-27 : 04:20:55
did you check the log file size?

Javeed Ahmed
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -