Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 2008 R2 emulate 2005?

Author  Topic 

tedendo
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-05 : 07:00:09
I have a program that runs only under XP and installs sql server express 2005 if the full 2005 is not already installed. The program sets up a table in the sql server, and multiple other computers access that table using the same program. I want to run the sql server under W7-64 and installed SQL Server 2008 R2.

I backed up the table from 2005, then restored it to 2008 R2. That was successful. I can see and edit the table with management tools, but the XP program can't see the server. Is there some way to tell the 2008 R2 to emulate 2005?

I can ping the server machine from the client, and everything works when the server machine boots XP and SS2005.

The program produces a UDL file to tell other computers running the same program where to find the SQL server instance.

Any suggestions? I can always run it in a VM if necessary, but I'd like to get this working if I can.

tedendo
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2014-11-05 : 11:29:04
Perhaps it is not possible to do what I want to do. I can access the sql server 2008 on my w7-64 machine from management studio running on the client xp machine, and I can modify the tables on the server from the client using management studio, but the program on xp that needs to access that db won't connect to the sql server on the w7-64 machine. The program says connection failed with a timeout error and it can't detect the SQL Server version information of the specified server.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -