Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2008 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2008)
 SQL 2008 R2 Service Pack questions

Author  Topic 

JacksonHawk
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2014-11-24 : 12:57:22
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and have a question regarding how SQL gets updates. We are running SQL 2008 R2 in our environment and there is a project to ensure all servers are running the latest updates. (I believe that is SP3) I have manually updated 2 servers to SP3, I have a couple development machines running SP1, and the rest are SP2. Here is the problem. We are using a KACE 1000 to push out updates. Ordinarily, the appliance would do a detect operation to see what patches were needed, and then deploy said patches to the system. The issue is that all servers are showing as current, and needing no patches. I downloaded MBSA and ran against the servers and that also shows them being current. All of them regardless of what SP is installed. How can this be? Shouldn't MBSA show available updates for the SP1 and SP2 boxes? (I think there is a critical update for SP3 as well). Does anyone know what flags the update process for SQL. Dell is telling me KACE won't update if MBSA shows it needs none. Any help is appreciated.

- Advertisement -