Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Windows OS

Author  Topic 

Hellbound
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2014-12-10 : 04:49:29
Hi guys

Apologies if this is a stupid post and has been answered soemwhere before, We have a split Access FE / BE running on a windows sbs 2011 network.

I am planning on upgrading the back end db to a SQL server DB in the new year. There aproximately 30 users.

I was after some guidleines on where to install the SQl server db....

Is it common practice to keep it away from the SBS server that controls the domain?

Whilst you can install on say a windows 8.1 pro 64k pc - If my memory serves me right, they used to be problems with having more than 10 users connected concurrently to a non server os? Does this apply to SQL server.

If the above does does not matter, is there a preference of the OS of the SQL server? Just in so much as if you install it on a 2nd windows server, then in theory you would have to buy Cal's for the 30 users to access the 2nd server + cals for the SQL server licences as well which bumps the price up.

Many thanks for your time

Cheers

Steve

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2014-12-10 : 08:43:41
1. Use a separate server, not the SBS server
2. Install SQL server on Windows Server -- 2008R2 or 2012. Give it plenty of RAM (as much as you can afford, but no less than 64GB)
3. What are you considering for storage? SAN? Dedicated RAID box(es)?

Go to Top of Page

Hellbound
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2014-12-10 : 10:34:59
Thanks Gerald for the prompt reply and advice. I imagine the storage would be split accross raid drives simialr to the current SBS server we have.

Whilst i imagine its a big no no to install on a high spec std windows OS - in the grand scheme of things the amount of data is only about 2gb worth with the biggest table containing about 1.8 million records.

We may even go with SQL Server Express to start with on a decent windows pc rather that SQL Server Std, just as the costs involved are very high, if you include a decent spec windows server, Windows Cals, Sql Server Std Edition. SQl Cals..... Coupled with my time to upgrade the front end to take advantage of SQL server with Stored Procedures, Pass thru Querys etc etc

Many thanks

Steve
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -