Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2012 Forums
 SSIS and Import/Export (2012)
 Exporting Data

Author  Topic 

jcb267
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

291 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-05 : 10:22:59
Hi,
I have a reporting model made in excel. A user enters all parameters in excel and the SQL code is generated for it. Next a macro is run that copies the data and it is pasted into a new query window in SQL management studio. Next, I would like to take the results and store them in a directory as a csv or excel file, the directory varies and will be specified by the user. Can this be done? If so, how??

Thank you!

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-05 : 10:50:58
What I would do is:

1. Save the generated query to disk instead of opening it in SSMS.
2. Write a SSIS package that reads the query into a new column in the dataflow
3. Add a script transformation that takes the column holding the query and assigns it to a variable
4. Add a second data flow
5. In the second dataflow, use an OLEDB source transformation that runs the query from step 3
6. Add a flat-file destination to take the results of step 3 and write them to disk
Go to Top of Page

jcb267

291 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-05 : 13:51:30
I don't know anything about SSIS, can you tell me where to start?
Go to Top of Page

SwePeso
Patron Saint of Lost Yaks

30421 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-05 : 15:16:33
Have the macro execute the code against SQL Server, open a textfile and iterate and output all rows with the macro.
Simple as that.

Microsoft SQL Server MVP, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, MCP, MCITP, MCTS, MCDBA
Go to Top of Page

jcb267

291 Posts

Posted - 2015-02-06 : 06:30:58
I just dont know how to do that but I will figure it out, doesn't sound too simple though.....

Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

qroonqroon
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-12 : 21:03:26
In my opinion, the author's idea is advisable.I will make advertisement freely for your post,recommend it to my frields.But you can also click here for read.http://www.rsgpfast.com/
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -