Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 Data Corruption Issues
 Bak file Trojan

Author  Topic 

iesa
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-10 : 12:00:43
I recently found that I could no longer download the BAK file from the SQL instance on our website, hosted remotely, to the local network. Sonicwall would always kill the download, indicating "ScrInject.UR (Trojan) blocked".

After finding no suspicious data in the 200 or so tables, I created a copy of the database and started deleting tables, creating a BAK (overwrite), and then testing download. Eventually I deleted ALL tables, including sysdiagrams - and Sonicwall still won't allow download.

Is it possible for Trojan code to reside in a BAK file, even when it has no tables at all?

Craig Johnson

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-10 : 12:18:09
hard to see how. or at least, it would have to be pretty sophisticated. but just to be sure, how big is your BAK file on that database with no tables? Easy enough to compare it to others to see if there's room for something else in there.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-10 : 12:27:43
Is the software blocking the bak extension? Have you tried a different extension?

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

iesa
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-10 : 15:17:31
With tables, it's a 100 MB bak file. No tables, it's 8.3 MB. Sonicwall allows the download to progress to 20% or 30%, then kills it.

My bak file download had been functional for a few years now, then it just stopped working. Changing the extension doesn't help.

If it's unlikely that the table-less file actually contains a malicious code, I would have to suspect a false positive by SonicWall, wouldn't I?

Craig Johnson
Go to Top of Page

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2015-03-10 : 15:38:15
Sounds like a false +ve to me
Go to Top of Page

Lincolnburrows
Yak Posting Veteran

52 Posts

Posted - 2015-05-27 : 05:37:06