Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Administration
 Deployment/backups/failovers - help pls!

Author  Topic 

jellybean
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2015-04-07 : 09:51:42
Hi,

I'm wondering can you help me please? Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I have inherited an ASP.NET 3.5 application talking to a Sql Server 2005 database. Both application and database are on the same box. I do not believe the database is backed up regularly.
The application is not hugh and the writes to the database amount to about 10MB per day. Application stack is light enough with just a front-end that talks to the database. No web service for example.

Here are my questions:

Q1: Should I seperate the database from the application? If yes, what type of box/server should I deploy the Sql Server onto?

Q2: Should I make regular backups of the database? If yes, how do I do that? (pointers would be great)

Q3: Should I investigate failover and redundency of the application server? ie if the application server falls over I would like another server to kick in immediately? What is the easiest way to implement this? Any good experiences you would like ot share or articles you know of?

Thanks in advance for any comments you would like to share.
J.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2015-04-07 : 12:04:00
1. We don't have enough info to be able to answer that, but my guess would be no if you aren't experiencing any issues given the light load.
2. Yes, always. You can setup a maintenance plan.
3. I can't answer regarding the application server, but you can setup mirroring to another server for the database.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2015-04-08 : 03:58:36
Q3: Is the application mission-critical to the business? There is quite a lot of complexity and cost in setting up automatic failover. if the database/application are mission critical then it wil also be mission-critical that the failover works whenever needed, even if that is not for 10 years ... so everything has to be kept in tip-top condition - tested regularly to make sure it is capable of working, upgraded when anything else (SQL service packs, or application upgrades) is upgraded and so on.
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - 2015-04-08 : 11:26:08
Tara & Kristen thank you very much for your comments. If I may summarise the answers appear to be:

1. For seperate of app & DB - don't unless there are issues
2. For regular backups - yes always to another seperate box. Use maintenance plans.
3. With caution - lots of works involved in this...

J.
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2015-04-08 : 12:05:32
1. In general, you do separate the app and db onto their own servers. However your environment is already in place and possibly not having issues, so why mess with it?
2. I don't actually recommend maintenance plans, but they are easy to setup if you don't have DBA knowledge. Most people are using custom scripts, such as those Ola Hallengren wrote. You can backup locally but then have the files swept to tape or another location. Or backup directly to a NAS and then sweep to tape.

Tara Kizer
SQL Server MVP since 2007
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/tarad/
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -