Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 Beginning MTA 98-364 prep

Author  Topic 

thill
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2015-04-19 : 23:09:09
Hello all,
I have started to study for the MTA 98-364 with the ‘Database Administration Fundamentals’ book from Microsoft. On page 11, it says to have SQL Server 2008 installed before continuing.
I have downloaded and installed the latest SQL server and SSMS (Express versions), but the Management Studio wants to connect to a server before I can do anything. I don’t think I’m set up for this. What do I do here?
I was under the impression that this was going to be a sort of mock DB for practice purposes and to use along with the book. Sorry, I am a newbie. Am I missing something completely obvious?
Thank you for any info/explanations

gbritton
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2780 Posts

Posted - 2015-04-20 : 08:38:20
quote:
Originally posted by thill

Hello all,
I have started to study for the MTA 98-364 with the ‘Database Administration Fundamentals’ book from Microsoft. On page 11, it says to have SQL Server 2008 installed before continuing.
I have downloaded and installed the latest SQL server and SSMS (Express versions), but the Management Studio wants to connect to a server before I can do anything. I don’t think I’m set up for this. What do I do here?
I was under the impression that this was going to be a sort of mock DB for practice purposes and to use along with the book. Sorry, I am a newbie. Am I missing something completely obvious?
Thank you for any info/explanations

Connect to the sql server express you just installed. Try using a host name of ".\sqlexpress" (without the quotation marks!)
Go to Top of Page

thill
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 2015-04-21 : 02:55:53
Yep, you have pointed me in the right direction. It's a work in progress.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -