Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 General SQL Server Forums
 New to SQL Server Programming
 about repair a database file of MS SQL Server 6.5

Author  Topic 

WilliamPhill
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2015-05-04 : 00:58:02
Now i must restore a database from a backup file of MS SQL Sever 6.5,
but this file is bad. When i restore database from this file, SQL Server tell me that the format of this file is not file format of SQL Server 6.5.
So that I must repair this backup file firstly. I don't know database file format of SQL Server 6.5. I want to get some helps from experts in this forum.
Thanks a lot in advance !

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2015-05-04 : 03:50:15
I would try restoring an earlier backup to see if that is clean. If you don't have a clean backup (even an old one) then I doubt you will be able to sort this out.

You can only restore a SQL 6.5 backup file to SQL version 6.5, 7 or 2000 - presumably you are not trying to restore it to a newer version than that?

Is your database in FULL Recovery Model? i.e. in addition to a Full Backup you also have Log Backup files? If so you can restore an old FULL Backup and then ALL Log Backup files chronologically after that, and thus starting with an old Full Backup file is OK (just a bit more work to srestore lots of Log backup files!)

Was the backup file made with the BACKUP command in SQL, or was it (for example) a Tape Backup Agent thatcreated the file directly onto tape, or some other non-Microsoft backup tool?

It would help if you post the exact message you get when you try to restore the file
Go to Top of Page

OsborneHar
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2015-05-05 : 08:34:50
Try SQL Server Repair Toolbox. The MS SQL repair tool reads *.mdf and *.ndf files and saves data, structure, links, etc. as SQL scripts or exports directly to Microsoft SQL Server through direct connect. If database have a SUSPEND state in Management Console then this software can helps to recover data from it. A convenient, reliable and ultimately efficient MS SQL database repair tool for system administrators, developers and database experts. Best in class performance and outstanding usability for users with and without experience.
For more info:[url]https://www.repairtoolbox.com/sqlserverrepair.html[/url]
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -