SQL Server Forums
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | Forum FAQ

Register Now and get your question answered!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Article Discussion
 Article: Database Backup Script
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

nr
SQLTeam MVY

United Kingdom
12543 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  10:23:10  Show Profile  Visit nr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm always happy for people to criticise things I write or say.

Whether or not they waste their time in a futile attempt to improve it .

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

USA
15683 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  10:53:45  Show Profile  Visit robvolk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'm not sure what you mean here, but it is very *unpolitely* to reply in such manner to my bug report.
SQL Team is not a bug reporting site, it is a community of SQL Server users and developers who focus on helping each other out. Reporting a "bug" as you call it without any detail on how to fix it is not particularly helpful.
quote:
It is a common practice for software industry to confirm found bugs, fix 'em and disclose details.
OK, the key term I see there is "FIX 'EM", so where's the bug fix? Oh wait, I forgot, that's not your job...sounds like the typical l337 d00d script kiddie hacker org Bugtraq line.
quote:
Moreover, I'd like to imform everyone on this site that few times I've reported those people (graz, robvolk) bugs on their own site (multiple SQL Injection bugs) and they even don't say me "thanks".
Well, I have not received an email from you or anyone else about these kinds of vulnerabilities, and you did not post them on SQL Team. Kind of hard to thank you for something you didn't do. I'll check in with "those people" and see if they've heard about it.
quote:
Also those “gurus” have deleted my messages where I’ve shown how easy it is to break encryption used by SQL Server 7.
Not one of your posts was ever deleted from SQL Team by me or anyone else; baseless accusation does not help your position at all. Secondly:

http://www.sqlteam.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17198

The reasons for removing the link you posted were VERY POLITELY explained in that thread. The encryption weaknesses in MS products are not correctable by anyone outside of Microsoft, and providing code that exploits their weaknesses only makes them weaker and makes innocent users more vulnerable.

I'm trying to reconcile your concern for SQL Team's security against your public posting of details on how to exploit its weaknesses, and so far I can't...if you were truly interested in helping you could have easily sent a private email instead of hanging a sign out that says "This is how to break the encryption".

quote:
I think that this forum is completely controlled by “moderators” and reflects only their own opinion...
The moderator's job is moderate posts to the forums that are not in line with its stated goals and guidelines; SQL Team is certainly no exception and not nearly as closed-minded as you would suggest. For you to even suggest that it only reflects my opinion proves pretty clearly you haven't been reading SQL Team...in this thread no less. If I wasn't open to your dissenting opinion, I could just delete your posts as you have claimed, and that simply hasn't happened.
quote:
but I’ll post further my findings and thoughts here because I’d like to share information.
If you can do that without needlessly criticizing the contributors, please do. Jay managed to do it very nicely; examples such as his are welcomed here on SQL Team.

Go to Top of Page

jimmers
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  11:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2Page47:

I mean that code doesn't strip special symbols for shell.
BTW xp_fileexist is undocumented one and maybe dropped, replaced, modified in any hotfix/service pack. Anyway, the solution you've
posted is better than nothing!

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

jimmers
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  12:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2robvolk:

quote:
Reporting a "bug" as you call it without any detail on how to fix it is not particularly helpful.

Why you decide what is helpful and what is not? Let site visitors decide.

quote:
OK, the key term I see there is "FIX 'EM", so where's the bug fix?

Where? Fix should be supplied by author. If this is impossible I've mentioned two
system functions that may be used as reference when coding. You should read
carefully posting before blaming them. Also I'm not glad to hear comparisons with
script kiddies.

quote:
Well, I have not received an email from you or anyone else about these kinds of vulnerabilities...

I'm sure that now you'll deny the fact that I've sent such mails. However, it doesn't
matter - believe or not I was able to query underlying SQL Server database.

quote:
Not one of your posts was ever deleted from SQL

Yes, I'm wrong - it was partially deleted. Link was the most important part of the message.
I won't discuss your policy about security because your approach seems to be not serious.

quote:
If you can do that without needlessly criticizing the contributors

Where I've needlessly criticized contributor (nr)? I've stressed an error in T-SQL.

Lets stop this endless discussion and let me post my messages without your meaningless comments.
Who wants will take them into account.

Go to Top of Page

graz
Chief SQLTeam Crack Dealer

USA
4138 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2002 :  12:47:52  Show Profile  Visit graz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since this topic has strayed quite a ways off topic I've started a new thread. Please continue any discussion not directly related to THIS article there.

Thanks,

graz

http://www.sqlteam.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21368

===============================================
Creating tomorrow's legacy systems today.
One crisis at a time.
Go to Top of Page

cdeclos
Starting Member

Belgium
1 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  04:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Folks

Thanks for this great script.... However, I implemented it on one of our SQL 2005 boxes and I'm running into some trouble when it comes to backing up the logs : on the server, there is a mix of simple & full recovery models databases. I would have liked to add a condition that takes this parameter into account, but I'm a complete noob in SQL scripting :-)

An idea, someone ?

Thanks,

Christian
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

United Kingdom
22431 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  05:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a look at Tara's blog (on this site).

The article you are commenting on was written in 2002 ... so probably not best-of-breed for current versions of SQL Server.
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Starting Member

Turkey
2 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2011 :  15:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

i can not run, I would like to receive automatic backup for sql server 2005 express edition but getting this error. how can i solve this problem

Error
Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Procedure spBackupAllDatabases, Line 42
Invalid object name 'DatabaseBackup'.

(1 row(s) affected)
Go to Top of Page

Apex
Starting Member

Turkey
2 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  06:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Apex

i can not run, I would like to receive automatic backup for sql server 2005 express edition but getting this error. how can i solve this problem

Error
Msg 208, Level 16, State 1, Procedure spBackupAllDatabases, Line 42
Invalid object name 'DatabaseBackup'.

(1 row(s) affected)

this problem resolved.but i don't understand delete old backups chapter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SQL Server Forums © 2000-2009 SQLTeam Publishing, LLC Go To Top Of Page