Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Explaination of logins

Author  Topic 

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2003-01-02 : 10:52:24
Im going to begin using SQL Server..and excuse my ignorance as people new with a certain tool tend to post too many messages labeled as "stupid questions". I come from a vb access background and we're making the jump to SQL Server 2k. In the majority of my access applications I've always had a table: tblLogins. This table served as a login into an application. In this table I would have fields such as UserName and Password..etc. Basically upon opening an application a login form would appear and would compare the Username and Password from 2 textboxes with the values stored in the table. This would allow the user to login.

Now my question is I see that right from SQL Server I can add users of the db...so do I need this table anymore? If not ... how would I go about creating a VB form that uses the names stored in SQL Server? Does SQL Server maintain its own table of users for each db?

Thanks,
Jon

Onamuji
Aged Yak Warrior

504 Posts

Posted - 2003-01-02 : 11:01:34
you could use built in functionality of SQL Server to manage users, but then what if you have two applications on the database and both applications have a username called "jdoe" but they are not for the same person.

I would suggest using the same table structure you have now. When converting from access, all table structure should import, with minimal need to tweaking. You will have to convert the procedures in access into stored procedures, or if your not using them by using dyanmic sql in the application you could migrate quite quickly and then slowly tweak the application to use stored procedures as you build them.

In short, the table you have now will work fine with SQL server and I would avoid using the built in SQL authnetication user base for handling application level users.

Go to Top of Page

jhermiz

3564 Posts

Posted - 2003-01-02 : 11:06:18
This new application will be completly SQL Server...Im not converting anything. So do you think I should use windows authentication or SQL Server? I was given the option during the installation.

So your idea of the table of user names should still apply to SQL Server?

Thanks again,
Jon

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -