Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Article Discussion
 Article: Using DTS and FTP to Push Files

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2003-01-13 : 14:49:41
This article comes to us from Bill Twomey. Bill writes "I had to automate a daily extract process. This job had to extract a set of records, and deliver them to a remote system. At first this seemed like an easy task, but the requirements of outgoing transfer, a new filename each day and verifying delivery, made the assignment interesting. What’s so interesting since DTS gives you an FTP task? The FTP task does not deliver files. How do you verify the delivery? The FTP task will not do this. I resorted to using FTP in another way. Along the way, the assignment became a challenge to get the package to handle the daily-changing filename."

Article Link.

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2003-05-07 : 12:19:55
You can also use t-sql to do the ftp in a stored proc. It will need a work directory but is easier than dts.
This gets round any problems with file names and you can do a dir command in the same way to verify the delivery.

See
www.nigelrivett.com
FTP Put File using t-sql
FTP Get Directory t-sql

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

Andraax
Aged Yak Warrior

790 Posts

Posted - 2003-05-07 : 15:43:16
I've actually gone down nigel's road, not using the DTS very much any more. It's amazing what can be done using pure t-sql, linked servers, bcp etc.

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -