Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Interrogating what is in the LOG

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2003-03-12 : 07:29:50
Robert writes "As a SP designer I create scripts to perform a variety of insert/update and report actions on data tables. I have learned (the hard way) that sometimes it is a good idea to test inserts, etc with a BEGIN TRANS and (manually executed) COMMIT TRANS when I am sure I have done the correct thing.

What I have never bothered to really understand is what happend after that COMMIT TRANS? Obviously, from my old DOS days I know that all that has happened is that a pointer has been reset - what I don't know is how to manually move that pointer around.

I have no real need to do this, but I would like to know how to see (and play with) what is in the log. There must be a (Select * From xyz) that can show me the content of the log.

Could you give me a starting point?"

franco
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

255 Posts

Posted - 2003-03-12 : 08:03:59
AFAIK the only tool that manage t-log of SQL Server is Log Explorer from Lumigent.
www.lumigent.com
HTH

Franco
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-03-12 : 13:04:31
Yep you are going to have to buy a 3rd party tool to see the log. I have heard a lot of good things about Log Explorer but have never used it before.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Page47
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

2878 Posts

Posted - 2003-03-12 : 13:19:04
If you are curious about how it works, read the chapter in Books Online called "Transaction Log Architecture".

Jay White
{0}
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -