Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 sql server agent wont start

Author  Topic 

mike123
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1462 Posts

Posted - 2003-03-19 : 20:05:55

I just formatted my db server and re-installed everything. When I login thru terminal services I try to get SQL Server Agent running, but when I click the start button nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks alot
MIke123

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-03-19 : 20:13:29
Is there any information in the Event viewer or the SQL Server Error Log? Have you tried logging into the server using the account that the SQLServerAgent logs on as (this will verify if the account is still valid and that it isn't getting any login errors)?

Tara
Go to Top of Page

mike123
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1462 Posts

Posted - 2003-03-25 : 15:25:56
I get the following error when looking at the error log in sqlserver enterprise manager.

[241] Startup error: Unable to initialize error reporting system (reason: The EventLog service has not been started)

Any suggestions? I get a similar error when attempting to look at the application, security, system,and dns log in Event Viewer.

Thanks alot
Mike123

Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-03-25 : 16:02:49
It sounds like you have more problems than just the SQLServerAgent. The error that you are getting isn't even SQL Server related. It is Windows related. Go to the Service applet and verify that the EventLog service is started. Also verify that it is set to automatically startup at system startup. You will then need to try to start the SQLServerAgent again so that it can return an error in the Event Viewer. Then get the error from the Event Viewer and post it here. You might be able to start the SQLServerAgent now though because the EventLog service is now started. This is a very important service that needs to be started at all times.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -