Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 DTS error: system cannot find the file specified

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-08 : 07:36:06
Darlene writes "OS=NT
SQL Server 7.00 - 7.00.842 (Intel X86) Mar 2 2000 06:49:37 Copyright (c) 1988-1998 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 4.0 (Build 1381: Service Pack 6)

I created a DTS package with SQL2000 tools. The package executes fine. When I schedule the package to run and attempt to execute the job, it fails with the error 'The system cannot find the file specified.' I've read KB article 274716 - I haven't edited it with SQL 7.0 tools and I tried saving it with password for owner and user. Same problem. I have jobs running fine on a server with version '7.00.716 (Build 2195: Service Pack 3)'

Appreciate any help."

jsmith8858
Dr. Cross Join

7423 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-08 : 07:55:53
Are you trying to import from a file that is not there? Can the Sql server get to the file?

Be careful of drive mapping and things of that nature -- always make sure you specify the full UNC path for all files, never use drive letters (except for local drives on the SQL server).

- Jeff
Go to Top of Page

kbearhome
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-08 : 11:05:59
Thanks for your response. I created the package to copy files from one server to another and saved the package. It saved it where ever it saves all the other ones; I didn't give it a path. When I say execute the package, it does. Then I scheduled the package and it saved it where ever it saves the jobs. When I run the job, it fails with the error 'the system cannot find the file specified'. I don't get it - I didn't do anything differently from other jobs that run just fine.

Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-08 : 11:17:04
When you manually execute a package the package is looking at your drive mappings. When you schedule the job it then looks at it's own (the servers) mappings. So for example, if you have a file on your C:\ drive, when you run manually, it will find it. I'm guessing that you will need to move the file to the exact location (folders and sub folders ect) to the server.

I keep a "mirror" image of my servers mappings on my desktop to "fake out" DTS....

Ohhh, but unless I'm dealing with Excel or Access, I dont use DTS anymore. (I'd even make the case of creating csv files from excel and access to avoid using DTS in a production environment).

(see Nigels signature)

Hope this helps though

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -