Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 Linked to Oracle 9i and Need HELP..Please

Author  Topic 

SqlZ
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-08 : 16:51:54
I have a linked sql 2000 box to an Oracle 9i box and when I try to write a simple select through query analyzer to query the O9i box, I get the following error:

Query:
select count(*) from OracleDB..OracleSchema.OracleTable2

Error:
Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
OLE DB provider 'MSDAORA' reported an error.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: Unspecified error]
[OLE/DB provider returned message: Oracle error occurred, but error message could not be retrieved from Oracle.]
[OLE/DB provider returned message: Data type is not supported.]
OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'MSDAORA' IOpenRowset::OpenRowset returned 0x80004005: ].

If I change the table to OracleTable1 the query runs fine. This error only appears when I try to query OracleTable2. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

RoyalSher
Yak Posting Veteran

95 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-09 : 01:16:19
hth,

check if the oracletable2 is having ne huge text/image fields of oracletable2 CLOB/BLOB/NCLOB) which might not be there in oracletable1.. ?!! .

RoyalSher.
The world is the great gymnasium where we come to make ourselves strong.
Go to Top of Page

SqlZ
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-09 : 06:49:57
Yes indeed there are two clob columns on OracleTable2. I might have to redesign this table and split it out. Thanks for the help.

"DBAs are overpaid and their jobs are easy...heck, I could do it."

-Quote from a former boss who calls often for help and speaks to my voice mail :)
Go to Top of Page

SqlZ
Yak Posting Veteran

69 Posts

Posted - 2003-04-09 : 16:04:10
That was definitely it. That error comes from clobs. I split the tables out, moved the data, and no more errors.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -