Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Development Tools
 ASP.NET
 Best Reporting Tool for .NET

Author  Topic 

BigRetina
Posting Yak Master

144 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-17 : 05:43:26
Salute...
What is the BEST reporting tool to be used with VS.NET from your experience??
Thanks In Advance

Edited by - BigRetina on 07/17/2003 06:53:22

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-17 : 06:29:23
VS.NET is an IDE not a platform.

Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest.

But speaking of VS.NET, Crystal Reports comes bundled, it's a bit of an industry standard. Why not use that ? Or maybe give a tiny bit of info of what you need to report on.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

BigRetina
Posting Yak Master

144 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-17 : 06:57:12
First...
I know VS.NET is an IDE while .NET is a platform!..how did I mix that??..i can not see!!
Second...
Thanks For your reply..
Third...
I use Crystal Reports but I faced too many bugs...or shall i just say PROBLEMS.. that i went looking after something else..i came across Active Reports for .NET and I really fell in love with it in about 1 hour of trails in the evaluation copy!. Its magic comes from its SIMPLICITY!!
That is for me...what about U, friends..?

Go to Top of Page

Merkin
Funky Drop Bear Fearing SQL Dude!

4970 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-17 : 07:09:10
It's amazing how many people think that Visual Studio is the platform they are programming for, bugs me a LOT

MS have released a nice looked charting starter kit at www.asp.net. I am about to do some playing with that. Depends on what your reporting requirements are I guess.

Damian
Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-18 : 11:30:31
I do a lot of programming in the Visual Studio platform Damian, I just can't help myself.

What's the URL for Active Reports? I'd like to have a look.

Sam

Go to Top of Page

MichaelP
Jedi Yak

2489 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-18 : 12:13:06
Crystal is buggy and costs way too much IMHO.
I use Activereports.net (http://www.datadynamics.com). It's not perfect, but if you need to do some fairly simple things it's pretty darn nice, and the price is right. They also have a very active newsgroup. Download the fully functional demo and try it out.

They even have a way, albeit difficult, to convert a Crystal report into an active report. I think it only gets the layout of the report, but that's usually the time consuming part anyway.

Michael

<Yoda>Use the Search page you must. Find the answer you will.</Yoda>
Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-18 : 19:24:28
And if you don't have to make a purchase within the next 6 months, you may want to hold out for Reporting Services. It is basically free as long as you have a SQL Server license, and it is intended to be as powerful as Crystal Enterprise and as easy as MS Access. It is in beta right now but is scheduled to be released for SQL 2000 at the end of this year. And when Yukon is released, it'll be even more powerful and just as free.

Go to Top of Page

kannipraveen
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-19 : 05:27:28
http://linktrack.fawcette.com/trk/click?ref=zoi5jfrrn-1d6x3c31x3502622
u can view this link

http://linktrack.fawcette.com/trk/click?ref=zoi5jfrrn-1eex3cc4x3502622
for debugging vs.net

Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-19 : 10:26:00
Rob,

Any beta documentation on this product?

Sam

Go to Top of Page

robvolk
Most Valuable Yak

15732 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-19 : 10:36:30
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/bi/reportingservices.asp

It's being packaged with the Yukon beta, but that's all I know for now. I had heard from a recent SQL user group meeting that they are planning on releasing it for 2000 by the end of the year, I've seen it elsewhere too. The MS guys who were speaking at the user meeting were VERY enthusiastic about it, and recommended that everyone try to get the beta to play with it.

Go to Top of Page

Arnold Fribble
Yak-finder General

1961 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-19 : 12:49:46
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2003/Jun03/06-02ReportingServicesPR.asp

Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-19 : 16:27:34
Hi Arnold,

Should be an interesting beta.

Sam

Go to Top of Page

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-19 : 17:06:33
SQL Server reporting services was meant to be part of yukon but with the delay Microsoft have separated it and it is due to be released this year.

Saying that, I think Crystal Reports is a fine product now. I used to hate it because it was so buggy but the latest versions seem quite reliable.

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

BigRetina
Posting Yak Master

144 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-23 : 03:32:52
Salute..
This reporting services seems quite interesting...
i played a little with the evaluation copy of ActiveReports For .NET and it seemed NICE. Its simplicity really attracted me!
I think that Crystal Reports is a powerful product but with a lot of BUGS!!..at least the version that comes with VS.NET...dont u think so?
Can u list big differences between Active Reports and Crystal Reports?
for those who used both!!

Go to Top of Page

MichaelP
Jedi Yak

2489 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-23 : 10:27:48
Ask that question in the Active Reports .net Newsgroup, You'll get a pretty good response methinks. I hang out in that group too :)

News Server: news.datadynamics.com
News Group: support.activereports.net

I think the biggest differences are
1. pricing and licensing
2. .Net code behind support
3. Scripting language is c#, not a propritary Crystal language

Bugs exist in both, as the news group will show you, but I've not really run into any of those bugs yet.

Michael

Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-23 : 10:36:36
My report needs are pretty well met using a .NET datagrid, (VBscript, not C#), what are the additional features of using Active Reports?

Sam

Go to Top of Page

MichaelP
Jedi Yak

2489 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-23 : 11:57:13
Well, I use it on the web to output "printable" reports. If you just use the datagrid, it might print funny sometimes. If you use active reports and tell it to export the report to one of the many export formats, like PDF, you can get something that looks nice and has a high quality final print. Due to these export formats, you can write one report, and give the users a pick list of how they want to export the report (PDF, XLS, TIFF, etc).

Michael

Go to Top of Page

SamC
White Water Yakist

3467 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-23 : 12:17:36
- pdf choices would be nice.

I'm going to give it a try.

What else? Graphical pie charts?

Go to Top of Page

MichaelP
Jedi Yak

2489 Posts

Posted - 2003-07-23 : 13:47:45
That's actually another difference.
I think Crystal has charts and graphs built in, but AR.Net does not. They reccomend a 3rd party app, and putting those graphs in the report doesn't always work quite right according to the newsgroup. I think they reccomend ChartFX Lite. Depending on your charting and graphing needs, you could create the image using the System.Drawning namespace and then just put the image that you output onto the report.

Michael

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -