Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Site Related Forums
 Article Discussion
 Article: Microsoft's SQL Server "Yukon" Website

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2003-10-29 : 15:46:13
Microsoft's official site for the next version of SQL Server.

Article Link.

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-10-29 : 16:42:01
Those who have played with Yukon,

Yukon says it will have "Online Restore" capability. Which means:

"Online restore improves the availability of SQL Server because only the data being restored is unavailable; the rest of the database remains online and available."

Does that mean we can restore a specific table or maybe even specific rows?

The "Dedicated Administrator Connection" sounds interesting, but it doesn't give enough information. Do you have any more information on this one?

Tara
Go to Top of Page

jasper_smith
SQL Server MVP & SQLTeam MVY

846 Posts

Posted - 2003-10-29 : 17:31:18
Partial restore is still at the filegroup level as per SQL2000 but there are other enhancements to backup including being able to better detect media errors with checksums, continue restoring after errors,mirrored backups,partial availabilty at the start of the undo phase rather than at the end of it and the inclusion of Full Text Catalogs in backups and restores.

Dedicated admin connection reserves resources for a single connection so that should the server become generally unresponsive, there is guaranteed resource to allow you to connect and troubleshoot/kill the offending spid(s). You must be a sysadmin and it's used via the new sqlcmd commandline utility.

HTH
Jasper Smith

If I'm talking about Yukon , things may change by RTM etc....
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-10-29 : 17:48:59
Thanks for the info Jasper. I figured one of the MVPers would know the answers.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-10-29 : 17:51:12
Thanks for the info Jasper. I figured one of the MVPers would know the answers.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

Sitka
Aged Yak Warrior

571 Posts

Posted - 2003-10-31 : 19:58:39
Watched the video.
1.)Reporting services. Droooool. Bet it will be expensive.
2.)XML data type, queryable GUI generated end user quazi relational junk, that will throw bad numbers at month end.
3.)XSD really scares me cause I don't get it yet. Flat to relational relational to flat. It'll click soon, I hope.

Go to Top of Page

jasper_smith
SQL Server MVP & SQLTeam MVY

846 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-01 : 07:40:35
1) In the simplest case, it won't be expensive.You can install Reporting Services on a properly licensed SQL Server at no extra cost. It will be available as an add on for SQL2000 as well. If you want to install it on a separate server then you need a SQL Server license for it (like NS) and the Enterprise Edition.The Report Designer is an add in for Visual Studio.NET 2003. Have a look at [url]http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reporting/howtobuy/faq.asp[/url]

Go to Top of Page

Sitka
Aged Yak Warrior

571 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-01 : 08:29:12
1) In the simplest case, it won't be expensive.

Wow, I'm surprised, and happy.
Go to Top of Page

richmondata
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-05 : 20:48:03
One feature I would like to see, but have no idea if it's coming: the ability to manipulate statistics data and other data used by the optimizer to generate plans (create a virtual server/database?). This would allow tuning in a development environment that was less beefy than the production environment, maybe even just an empty db with the prod schema and fudged statistics. BTW, this basic ability has been available with some other db's for quite a while.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but the ability to register the same server multiple times in Enterprise Manager (with different registration properties) would be nice.

An integrated log reader tool similar to Lumigent's Log Explorer (but better) would be nice, too.

I would also like an option to get the Optimizer to treat a derived table like it was a separate table (just like it was a temp table). Several times, I've had to create a temp table to prevent the optimizer from generating a less than optimal plan because it integrated the derived table query into the overall query in a sub-optimal way.

I can dream can't I.

One feature, I definitely like is the ability to save graphical showplans as xml for later display. You would think that would also make the graphical showplans searchable. Maybe even, create an ObjectBrowser-like view to let you see all showplan references by table. If not from Microsoft, then from somebody else...

I also think the XML datatype should be cool (though Codd might not think so). It seems to me it can help avoid some of the issues associated with using named-value pairs. It also seems to offer some capability similar to using table datatypes in table definitions since you would be able to store table-ized data in a single column without the hassles of delimiters. The larger varchar datatypes are also promising.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -