Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Backup failure

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-17 : 07:40:13
Samo writes "Hi guys...

Occasionaly (not always!)backup on SQL server (from local disk E: to local disk H: - both RAID1) fails with Windows Application event log message:

Source: MSSQL$MGR
Category: (6)
Type: Error
Event ID: 17055
User: N/A

18210 :
BackupIoRequest::WaitForIoCompletion: read failure on backup device 'E:\MGRDATA3\MGRDATA3.ndf'. Operating system error 1450 (error not found).

SQL Server Agent Job History log reports failure in step 1 of B/U:

Nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file 'E:\MGRDATA3\MGRDATA3.ndf'. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3271) BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3013) Associated statement is not prepared [SQLSTATE HY007] (Error 0). The step failed.

My configuration is as follows:

ProductName
Microsoft SQL Server
ProductVersion 524288 8.00.844
Language 1033 English (United States)
Platform NT INTEL X86
Comments NT INTEL X86
CompanyName Microsoft Corporation
FileDescription SQL Server Windows NT
FileVersion 2000.080.0844.00
InternalName SQLSERVR
LegalCopyright © 1988-2003 Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.
LegalTrademarks Microsoft® is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation. Windows(TM) is a trademark of Microsoft Corporation
OriginalFilename SQLSERVR.EXE
PrivateBuild
SpecialBuild 55312384
WindowsVersion 143851525 5.0 (2195)
ProcessorCount 3 3
ProcessorActiveMask 7 00000007
ProcessorType 586
PROCESSOR_INTEL_PENTIUM PhysicalMemory 3920 3920 (4109910016)Product ID NULL

I can't find reasons for these events. Can you please give me some hints....

Thanks a lot...Samo"

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-17 : 10:33:48
Never seen that...maybe this wil help

http://support.softwaretechnology.biz/main/r10220.htm

Brett

8-)
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-17 : 12:22:51
It could be that some process has taken control of that file. Once that happens, you can't backup to it. But I think that the error message would mentioned that. Do you have a tape backup process that runs around the time of the SQL backups? You might consider putting retries into your job step. When I have received this error message, I am always able to rerun the job successfully. I never spent much time troubleshooting it though because it only has happened in our development environment.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

gercr
Yak Posting Veteran

53 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-17 : 16:06:12
do you have automatic task to check those files for virus??
Go to Top of Page

khanewal
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-28 : 20:51:35
"BackupIoRequest::WaitForIoCompletion: read failure on backup device 'E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\MSSQL\DATA\MSDBData.mdf'. Operating system error 1450(error not found). "

Hi Guys,

I checked every things, but still I am not sure how to fix this error, I can't take any backup, and there is 700 GB free space in my E: Drive help me much appreciated
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-29 : 04:14:19
Disk full on E: ?

MS Poxy installer put their maintenance database in your Program Files folder <spit>

Also, there is no routine to clear down this database for you - you have to set something up.

Also, the thing that MS provides runs like a dog <spit2>

Its better in SQL 2005 ... but not much.

Clear some space on E:

Backup the TLog on MSDB

Run the cleardown procedure to release some space

If MSDBData.mdf is massive (probably is if you've had this server a long time, have lots of databases and lots of backups per day) then do a one time SHRINK to get it back to a more reasonable size.

Schedule the TLog backup of MSDB and the maintenance routine.

My solution to sort out this mess is here:

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36201&whichpage=2#108322

I recommend you read the whole thread if you have time so you understand the issue. There are people who ran my solution and then came back to say it had been running for 6 days ... and anyway, running it will make your disk space problems worse in the short term

Create the Sproc in your MSDB database.

Pay careful attention to the comments in the TEST RIG section, specifically this:

-- Find cutoff date - based on deleting 2,500 backups
SELECT MAX(backup_start_date)
FROM
(
SELECT TOP 2500 backup_start_date
FROM msdb.dbo.backupset
ORDER BY backup_start_date ASC
) X

-- Now set the BACKUP date (from above) to delete the oldest batch
EXEC dbo.kk_SP_DeleteBackupHistory
@intDaysToRetain = NULL,
@dtCutoff = '01-Jan-2004'
,@intDebug=1
ROLLBACK -- Just in case SP failed half way through
-- (otherwise will leave a hanging transaction, ignore error if SProc was OK)

(The ROLLBACK will give you an error if it runs OK, I have had situations where an error did NOT rollback the Sproc, so its there just for belt&braces)

So:

1 Backup the TLog of your MSDB database
2 Install my Sproc in MSDB
3 Run it over a modest range - e.g. 2,500 backups
3a If that runs quickly increase the number of rows to process on subsequent runs
4 After you've done a few runs take another TLog backup (otherwise it will fill up and you will run out of space again)

If it is going to take a huge number of runs then after you have done a "reasonable amount" Shrink the database, so you reclaim some diskspace on E:, then resume with larger ranges.

As soon as you have done your first Shrink you should be able to take backups of other DBs again.

<spit=final!>

I suggest you ask any further questions in a new thread, folk here may not see posts in this old thread.
Go to Top of Page

khanewal
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-30 : 01:33:14
Thanks, I will test and let u know
Go to Top of Page

Kristen
Test

22859 Posts

Posted - 2010-01-30 : 02:29:01
I should also ahve said

DBCC CHECKDB('MSDB')

to make sure it is not corrupted.

I started my rant without reading that you have plenty of space on E:

Either way, if MSDBData.mdf is big you need to get rid of the stale/old data, assuming you don't already have good housekeeping in place.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -