Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 "Unspecified Error" in part of DTS package step

Author  Topic 

homebrew
Posting Yak Master

114 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-17 : 16:34:43
I'm running a DTS package that has been fine for months, but I just installed SQL 2000 SP3, and now I get this error message during part of one step (the other commands in the step are ok) :

-------------------------------------------
Error Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

Error Description: Unspecified Error
---------------------------------------------

The code I'm trying to execute is:

SET NOCOUNT ON
declare @prd_typ char (2)
DECLARE products CURSOR FOR
select * from produpd where prd_type = ' '

OPEN products

FETCH NEXT
from products
WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
BEGIN

exec ('update produpd
SET produpd.PRD_TYPE = (SELECT top 1 producttypeval.prod_type FROM producttypeval
WHERE produpd.prod_type_adv = producttypeval.prod_type_adv )
where prd_type = '' '' and @@error = 0 ')

FETCH NEXT
from products
end

CLOSE products
DEALLOCATE products
-----------------------

If I execute that code in Query Analyzer, it works fine .... there's now something screwy about the connection in my DTS, even though I haven't modified it in months.

Any ideas ?

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-17 : 16:41:31
Why the use of dynamic sql? Your UPDATE statement does not require this. Also, use an explicit column list instead of SELECT *. Why the use of a cursor? Can't you run the UPDATE statement by itself. You aren't using the cursor in the statement as far as I can tell.

Have you tried creating a new DTS package with just this task to see if it works there. It is possible that the step is corrupted in some way.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -