Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Need help: Publishing database on the web

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-27 : 08:30:11
writes "Hi guys! I've never published any kind of data on the web, I am quite a newbie when it comes to internet. I've written a project (Visual Basic) though which reads all the database data from a text file (the same data is exported to text files, but it is easier to get data from a daily text file, since my database has around 1,000,000 rows!). Then, it fills a grid with that data (account id, credit amounts, etc), saves the grid (after a query, if desired) to a text/excel file and prints in Word. My question is that I need to create a form to show that data on the web (just for a single user account, to see the remaining credit, how much has he been charged, etc.). I've seen many techniques, but all are based on database tables. How can I publish the text file data, or from the grid?
Thanks in advance!"

Sitka
Aged Yak Warrior

571 Posts

Posted - 2003-11-27 : 20:00:47
quote:
saves the grid (after a query, if desired),

don't quite get that part but OK, moving on...
quote:
to a text/excel file and prints in Word. ....

At this point save as "html" to a web served location as well as printing and I believe you are done.
The point being if you are saving to excel anyways it is usually a very small leap to save as html. Often automated, but even still usually easy to iterate or string build the appropriate output.
It's just text with some timely placed <???></???> thingamajigs.
Or for a more hands off approach look up webtask in SQL Books on line,(if there is an sql server involved, which isn't really clear yet)

Tenacious O
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -