Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 bcp out/in Oracle Linked Server

Author  Topic 

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-12-09 : 15:52:43
Possible?

Have to give it a try...

Any war stories appreciated...

Brett

8-)

byrmol
Shed Building SQL Farmer

1591 Posts

Posted - 2003-12-09 : 17:07:34
Brett,

Do you mean that the Oracle DBMS is a linked server in SQL Server and you want to BCP into that Linked server? As a guess.. Not a chance.

Oracle has awesome bulk loader tools... better than SQL Server IMHO

DavidM

"SQL-3 is an abomination.."
Go to Top of Page

X002548
Not Just a Number

15586 Posts

Posted - 2003-12-10 : 09:07:19
quote:
Originally posted by byrmol

Brett,

Do you mean that the Oracle DBMS is a linked server in SQL Server and you want to BCP into that Linked server? As a guess.. Not a chance.

Oracle has awesome bulk loader tools... better than SQL Server IMHO

DavidM

"SQL-3 is an abomination.."

Yes but NO (zero, nada, Null) tools to extract data...do you know of any tools...

Long story short...

Built for sql server, sprocs that will gener format cards, bcps, and ftps (to the mainframe, ugh) to take data out of tables in fixed width format..done works great..

The req is to do this across platforms (Oracle, udb, ect)

All for data "privacy". Data is "scambled" (I wanted poached) and the transmitted to development enviornments...

hey, in the old days (what am I talking about, I still do this) we used to create our own test data, but they want to take an entire production system and make it so they can have a near like production environment, but can't tie the data back to anything....

In other words make it so that the ssn is doesn't tie to bob smith, or his address, or his birthdate, yada, yada, yada..

ludicrous...

throughout the enterprise....

maybe I can sell donughts...

Corporate governance! And they keep laying people off...(well it seems to have it bottom...)

Anyone else (and only in a major corporation, because mom and pop would know better) doing this?

Brett

8-)

EDIT: I guess not so short...

Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -