Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Change SQL Server Licensing Mode

Author  Topic 

hiuhiu
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 2004-01-05 : 05:39:27
Hi all, I've a Win2K Server with SQL Server 2000 installed. Originally I only have 20 CALs and the SQL Server was set to per seat mode. Now that I've purchased the per processor license, do I really need to backup everything and re-install the SQL Server? I really hope there is an easy way out as all I need is to be able to change the licensing mode...but unfortunately the "Processor License For" checkbox is disabled as I already set the mode once.

If I really need to re-install the SQL Server, what do I need to pay attention to so that I won't lose anything that's already in the SQL Server.

Thank you so much!

raymondpeacock
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

367 Posts

Posted - 2004-01-05 : 11:15:03
Hi

Unfortunately SQL Server does not not allow you to change licensing mode (from per seat to per processor, or vice-versa). I have not been in this situation, so can't really offer advise on what to do. What I would consider (probably) is installing a second instance of SQL2k on the same box and then using DTS to transfer databases, logins, packages etc across.

Raymond
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-01-05 : 14:21:52
To transfer your database to a new instance or a new installation, use BACKUP/RESTORE method or sp_detach_db/sp_attach_db for the user databases (if you use this method, run a backup as well just in case), script out your jobs using the wizard, and save your DTS packages to a file. For logins, you can use DTS. I use a stored procedure that I wrote. It is called isp_Transfer_Logins and can be found if you search the forums for it.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

hiuhiu
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 2004-01-05 : 19:39:54
Thanks for the replies!

But when you said to install a new instance, can I install another instance on the same Win2K Server? The problem that I am facing right now is that I only have one server in my department. But even if I can install a new instance of SQL Server on the same Win2K Server, it will follow the same Licensing Mode as the one I just installed, am I correct?

I will really appreciate if someone can clarify the above questions for me. Thank you so much!
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-01-05 : 19:47:15
SQL Server 2000 allows you to install multiple instances of SQL Server on one physical server.

But regardless if the licensing mode would be the same for the new instance, you should uninstall SQL Server then rebuild it.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

hiuhiu
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 2004-01-08 : 01:50:46
Thanks! I guess I have no other choice then...

By the way, can I install the SQL Server Standard Edition onto a PC with Window 2000 Professional installed? I just want to make sure everything will be in a SQL Server before starting to uninstall the one on my Win2K Server (I am not a DBA at all so I want to do it SAFELY!!!). But unfortunately I only have another spare PC with Win2K Professional instead of Win2K Server.

Thanks again if you can provide more information.

HIU
Go to Top of Page

eyechart
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

3575 Posts

Posted - 2004-01-08 : 02:18:09
quote:
Originally posted by hiuhiu
By the way, can I install the SQL Server Standard Edition onto a PC with Window 2000 Professional installed?

nope. You need to use Personal Edition instead. We received this as part of our Enterprise Edition version of SQL 2K. Not sure where else Personal Edition is available because it cannot be purchased separately (as far as I know).

-ec
Go to Top of Page

hiuhiu
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 2004-01-08 : 23:24:46
Thanks! I will check to see if the personal edition comes with the standard edition.

HIU
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -