Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Applicationlog I/O error

Author  Topic 

jeroena
Yak Posting Veteran

76 Posts

Posted - 2004-01-19 : 05:12:28
Hi There,

Has anyone seen this before? This error occurs after backup routines on a SQL Server. What does it mean?

I/O error on backup or restore restart-checkpoint file 'e:\sqldata\MSSQL\backup\model4IDR.ckp'. Operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.). The statement is proceeding but is non-restartable.

Thnx., Jeroen.

nr
SQLTeam MVY

12543 Posts

Posted - 2004-01-19 : 06:18:50
I am guessing you don't have a e:\sqldata\MSSQL\backup\?
I've heard of this before and it was corrected by creating the path.

How are you taking the backups?

==========================================
Cursors are useful if you don't know sql.
DTS can be used in a similar way.
Beer is not cold and it isn't fizzy.
Go to Top of Page

jeroena
Yak Posting Veteran

76 Posts

Posted - 2004-01-19 : 10:26:27

Figures... Well I created the folder, so I'll check the result tomorrow. I'm not sure how the backups are scheduled, Im not the DBA of the machine...

Thnx... Jeroen.
Go to Top of Page

sqlsorcerer
Starting Member

1 Post

Posted - 2006-10-03 : 11:20:02
Hi there,

If you ever receive an error relating to paths in the Event log for SQL Server, the first place you should look is the registry.
For that particular error, I think you'll find that you need to change the key which contains the SQL Backup path. The registry address for this is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE
\Microsoft
\MSSQLServer
\MSSQLServer
\MSSQLServer
and the key's name is"BackupDirectory" which you should reset to the appropriate value for your installation.

In fact, if you've done any chopping any changing, these registry paths will need to be examined e.g. if you installed SQL Server on the F(data) and G(log) drives but subsequently needed to change the drive lettering to D(Log) and E(Data) as I did, then you'll need to look at the parameters section which is under the same node i.e.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE
\Microsoft
\MSSQLServer
\MSSQLServer
\Parameters
Typical parameters are:
SQLArg0 -dc:\MSSQL7\data\master.mdf
SQLArg1 -ec:\MSSQL7\log\ERRORLOG
SQLArg2 -lc:\MSSQL7\data\masterlog.ldf

Of course in the above case that I've described, you'd also need to modify the paths in the following tables in the master database also --- sysfiles,sysaltfiles,sysdevices,sysdatabases but that is for another day.

Regards,
Seán
Go to Top of Page

jeroena
Yak Posting Veteran

76 Posts

Posted - 2006-10-04 : 02:39:53
Thnx Seán,

Although I posted the problem three years ago and didn't even know about it anymore, I bet it's a vauleable post for this topic!

Regards,
Jeroen
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -