Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 Import/Export (DTS) and Replication (2000)
 Successfully quiting a job with empty input file.

Author  Topic 

ditch
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1466 Posts

Posted - 2004-02-03 : 03:44:40
I have a SQL Job which executes a few DTS Packages.
The first package checks for file existence using Custom Tasks (dll's developed in VB6).
The second Loads the file into a Table using a Transform Data Task.

Packages 3 to 5 use Transact sql tasks to fetch related data etc and store in a staging environment and then eventually transfer the data to a production environment.

My problem is in Package no 2.

When the input file is empty then the transform data task returns the following error:
Error: 1006 (3EE); Provider Error: 1006 (3EE) Error string: Error creating datafile mapping: The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid

I was thinking that the solution for this problem would be to Break the Job up into 2 different jobs:
The first one would execute package 1 as well as a new package containing an activex task which would check the file size and if the file is not empty execute the second job which contains the remainder of the packages eitherwise it should quit reporting success.

If this is possible then I would like to know the syntax in activex to execute a SQL Job (I can't seem to find this anywhere)? If this is not possible then does anybody else know a better solution?

raymondpeacock
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

367 Posts

Posted - 2004-02-03 : 06:04:58
Create an ActiveX script on the Workflow properties to set DTSTaskExecResult_Success or DTSTaskExecResult_Failure based on the existence and size properties using Scripting.FileSystemObject.

Raymond
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -