Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Large string data

Author  Topic 

bobbabuoy
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - 2004-02-11 : 17:40:52
I have a web site that allows user to enter large strings into a database (comments, etc). What is the best way to do that? Right now I have them limited to 25 characters and the data type is varchar. Is there a better way?

Thanks!

JustinBigelow
SQL Gigolo

1157 Posts

Posted - 2004-02-11 : 17:50:01
Store each comment in its own record as a child record referencing the parent table. That way you don't need to mess with blobs and don't need to worry about a single row's 8K limit. You can also easily add timestamping to each row to build a comment timeline if need be.

m2c,
Justin

btw, you probably won't get very useful comments if users have to piece together a thought 25 characters at a time. I would think about kicking the limit up.

"I want to thank you. You could've given us help, but you've given us so much more."
Go to Top of Page

mohdowais
Sheikh of Yak Knowledge

1456 Posts

Posted - 2004-02-12 : 00:26:15
25 characters?!

The varchar datatype in SQL Server can take upto 8000 characters. I don't see you having a problem with that kind of limit

OS
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -