Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 High Availability of My Server

Author  Topic 

AskSQLTeam
Ask SQLTeam Question

0 Posts

Posted - 2004-03-04 : 08:25:32
Joel writes "Hi guys. I'm just new in using SQL Server. I work as a Technical Support for hospitals here in the philippines. I jst encountered that the server's O/S was infected and was corrupted. Badly, we can't restore the data in it. Due to this problem the hospital worked for 2days without a system. So we purchased a new Server for backup. Is there a feature in EM that can automatically update a backup database that we created in the backup server on real-time. This way, we will not worry again if the main server fails we still have our data intact.

Any help and suggestions are very much appreciated.

thanks...

Joel
Manila, Philippines"

raymondpeacock
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

367 Posts

Posted - 2004-03-04 : 08:48:28
There's no EM feature, but to have near real-time availability on a standby server you should look into Replication or Log Shopping (if you use SQL Enterprise Edition).

Raymond
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-03-04 : 12:22:20
Also, look into clustering the server with the backup one. That'll allow automatic recovery if a hardware problem occurs on the primary server.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

MuadDBA

628 Posts

Posted - 2004-03-05 : 15:41:44
Replication really isn't the way to maintain a backup server. Configure it wrong, forget to add a new table to the replication, whatever, and your "backup" database doesn't really represent a "backup" at all. It's better for reporting and data synchronization.

Log Shipping can be done EASILY without the need for Enterprise Edition (not that I am discouraging you from buyin EE), there are scripts out there that will help you set it up via the automated, MS way or you can set it up on your own if you have the time and inclination. Look it up in books online. Concept is simple, implementation is a bit more difficult, but not that much.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -