Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Administration (2000)
 Pinning procedures in memory

Author  Topic 

bobanjayan
Yak Posting Veteran

67 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-02 : 06:34:23

Hi friends,

I am very new in MS-SQL Server.
Can anybody tell me how to pin procedures into memory?

Regards.

Boban

Boban

harshal_in
Aged Yak Warrior

633 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-02 : 07:06:16
in MS-SQL server the execution plan for the stored procedure is already saved in the procedure cache when it is compiled until the cache is made free or a new execution plan is available.
u can explictly pin tables using dbcc pintable.
check out:
http://www.extremeexperts.com/sql/articles/SQLCacheObjects.aspx

He is a fool for five minutes who asks , but who does not ask remains a fool for life!
Go to Top of Page

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-02 : 12:18:41
And pinning of tables isn't recommended by MS. The command DBCC PINTABLE and DBCC UNPINTABLE will be no-op in SQL Server 2005.

Tara
Go to Top of Page

bobanjayan
Yak Posting Veteran

67 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-03 : 00:58:17

Thanks for the reply.

But I have some more doubts.

Where is the procedure cache configured ?
Is there any parameter file ?
What happends when the procedure cache get overflowed?

Boban

Boban
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-03 : 01:21:21
The procedure cache is managed by SQL Server. It cannot get overflowed because it's dynamically managed to not overflow. It stores execution plans for the stored procedures and as plans recompile, age, or space is needed for other procedures these plans move out of the procedure cache.

DBCC PROCCACHE will give you detailed information about the proccache on your machine as will DBCC MEMUSAGE. You can also monitor it with performance monitor.

If the counters are bad for the procedure cache, they will generally also be bad for other memory counters. You will need to buy more RAM for the system, or tune items in the database to make them more friendly to the memory subsystem.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -