Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 SQLSERVERAGENT won't start

Author  Topic 

CBurgess
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-16 : 02:40:35
We were recently running the SQLSERVERAGENT and MSSQL services using a domain account that was also a local administrator for the box. Because of security concerns we've had to reduce the priveledges for this user, but the changes didn't have the most desired effects. When trying to start the SQLSERVERAGENT service we received the following error:
"[241] Startup error: Unable to initialize error reporting system (reason: Access is denied)"

Now the MSSQL service starts up just fine, and the error service is running just fine. I've also followed the directions for the KB article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=283811

I'm wondering if anyone had any kind of miraculous knowledge on the matter that I might thoroughly appreciate.
What kind of permissions the domain account should have in order to access the error reporting system?

tkizer
Almighty SQL Goddess

38200 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-16 : 12:34:58
What privileges did you give the account? It is highly recommended that the SQL Server services logon with a domain account that has local admin, which is what you used to have. This should not be changed.

The error reporting system would be files on disk. Can the user write to the disk?

Tara
Go to Top of Page

CBurgess
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-19 : 02:10:46
quote:

What privileges did you give the account? It is highly recommended that the SQL Server services logon with a domain account that has local admin, which is what you used to have. This should not be changed.

Yeah I know ... unfortunately nobody told the fellas at the IT security department.

quote:

The error reporting system would be files on disk. Can the user write to the disk?

What kid of files on the disc? Does it not need to contact the Error Reporting Service at all? Are there any folder permissions beyond those stated in the KB article that I need to know about?

Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-04-19 : 09:48:35
It should just need access to the files on the local machine, which it would have if it's part of the local admin group. Do you have this forwarding events to another server? Look at the SQL Agent properties and see if you have it set to forward events to another server.

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -