Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 Old Forums
 CLOSED - General SQL Server
 Table Sizes within a database

Author  Topic 

cusoxty
Constraint Violating Yak Guru

271 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-08 : 09:58:52
I am working with Enterprise Manager and I am trying to fugure out how to view the size of each individual table within a database. I am trying to figure out what is taking up so much space.

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-08 : 10:02:47
click on the database and go to View... Taskpad, then go to table info...
Go to Top of Page

cusoxty

271 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-08 : 10:18:47
Thanks Rick. You helped me realize that 99% of the database's size comes from photographs. I have learned that it is not good to have so much binary data in our database. Do you have any suggestions as to how we can go about reducing the size of these images?
Go to Top of Page

mr_mist
Grunnio

1870 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-08 : 10:26:47
You would be better off removing them to a standard file system and storing pointers to them in your database.

-------
Moo. :)
Go to Top of Page

cusoxty

271 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-08 : 10:33:17
Thank you for the suggestion, but can you be a little more specific. How can i get started with this task?
Go to Top of Page

RickD
Slow But Sure Yak Herding Master

3608 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-08 : 10:40:46
Create a directory/directory structure on your application server, save the images to this directory/directory structure and update a field in your table to have a UNC path to the images, then just drop the column in your table which holds the images...
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -