Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 SQL Server Development (2000)
 Accessing Files via HTTP

Author  Topic 

WalkerDA
Yak Posting Veteran

61 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-10 : 20:13:51
I need to copy or import files from an HTTP location vice doing the same from a local locatioon on the network. There is no way around it does anyone have any suggestions?

Derrick Walker

timmy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1242 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-10 : 21:01:13

You can create an ActiveX Script task within a DTS package to download the file. But - you'll need to use the Microsoft Internet Controls DLL (not sure of the exact name - check out MSDN) to move the files across.
Once the files are on the db server/internal network, you can do with it what you please.

I assume this is a firewall issue?
Go to Top of Page

WalkerDA
Yak Posting Veteran

61 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-11 : 07:58:38
Yes! Very tight firewall system on our end which also disables me from sending mail via SMTP.

Derrick Walker
Go to Top of Page

timmy
Master Smack Fu Yak Hacker

1242 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-12 : 01:01:37
You should investigate using XML to transfer data across your firewall. One of the main selling points of XML is that it can easily traverse firewalls because it can use the HTTP port.
And SQL has inbuilt support for it.

Go to Top of Page

WalkerDA
Yak Posting Veteran

61 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-13 : 09:53:19
What would be a good starting point or a good reference? I'm not very familar with XML at all..so it would be from the ground up for me.

Derrick Walker
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -