Please start any new threads on our new site at https://forums.sqlteam.com. We've got lots of great SQL Server experts to answer whatever question you can come up with.

All Forums
 SQL Server 2000 Forums
 MSDE (2000)
 Create Project w/Access & MSDE on peer network

Author  Topic 

LouArnoldOttawa
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-14 : 22:57:21
I am using two Win 2000 computers (named X and H) networked thru a router (to share the Internet connection). Each computer has a Norton firewall on it with ports 1433 and 1434 enabled (TCP and UDP). Each has MS Office 2000. Computer has MSDE 2000 installed. I have not applied patches to MSDE, and cant tell what "instance name" its been installed with - it was installed from the CD with MS-Office 2000.

Problem: I can create a new "project" using Access on H without a problem - the normal Access database window finally appears with the "Create Table in Design View" option. However, I cannot create a database from X using the same procedure; I get no error messages. I have verified that the desired database is not built in the MSDE, and so Access database window Table pane does not have the "Create Table..." action so I cannot create tables.

I have tried this while logged on under the Win 2000 administrator accounts on both X and H computers. I have NOT specified a login ID or password when creating the database; this should cause MSDE to use Windows Authetication, and should permit me to work from X logged on as the Windows administrator. Is this assumption wrong? Why can the Admin account under H create a database whereass the Admin account under X cannot?

LouArnoldOttawa
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-14 : 22:59:42
Correction:
Computer H has the MSDE 2000 installed as well as Office 2000; computer X does dot have MDSE installed.
Go to Top of Page

derrickleggett
Pointy Haired Yak DBA

4184 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-14 : 23:39:56
Then install it. :)

MeanOldDBA
derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
Go to Top of Page

LouArnoldOttawa
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 2004-06-15 : 10:16:10
Well...I neglected to say that the objective is to have the MSDE on computer H and to run MS Access from computer X. The overall objective is to have one peer as an MSDE based server, while other peers are clients.
Go to Top of Page

- Advertisement -